MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphony X appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphony X appreciation
    Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 5:50pm

Lets give it up for the real kings pf Progressive Metal. Which do you prefer: the very neo-classical SX, or the more riff/guitar orriented Paradise lost stuff? Thoughts on the new album? Which album is your favorite? Let your love for Symphony X be known here.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:32pm
Neo-classical SX.  I kind of disliked Paradise Lost to be honest. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:10pm
I'm not a fan, but I enjoy their albums from time to time. My favorite is The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I also enjoy some other albums. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:29pm
LOVE the band! One of the top 5 favs

I don't like their first one so much...outside that I like it all.
Divine Wings, Inferno and Paradise Lost all get 5 stars from me. I can't decide which is my favorite, it jumps between the 3.

To answer your question...hmm, that's hard. If someone held a gun to my head I'd say the more riff/guitar oriented style....but really I can't decide!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 12:13am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 12:35am
I won't lie...I am quite a Symphony X fanboy
(Hell they were like the first ever proggy metal band I knew!)

Only bands that rival my fanboyism for it are SoaD and Opeth LOL

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 1:19am
I wouldn�t exactly call myself a fanboy, but they�ve made some really great progressive power metal albums. One of the leaders of that genre and deservedly so.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 2:23am
1. The Odyssey
2. TDWOT
3. V: The New Mythology Suite
4. Paradise Lost
5. Twilight In Olympus

Not a fanboy but a great band nevertheless! Clap

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 2:34am
I also never knew what to label them as!

I just have em as prog metal, but I don't think that's quite appropriate.
Neither is Power Metal.
Not sure about symphonic metal...

Regardless I love em! They also stopped by my local record store once, got to see em and they all signed my copy of "Paradise Lost"

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 15 Oct 2010 at 2:36am

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:52am
I have "Paradise Lost", and I quite like it - it's not too cheesy.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:08am
^I�d strongly recommend getting The Odyssey too then. It�s also a really hard hitting progressive power metal album too.

...and in the case of Symphony X in general I wouldn�t say they are very cheesy on any of their releases. With a vocalist like Russell Allen that�s simply not possible. He is pretty raw now isn�t he?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:14am
I've been considering buying some more of their stuff, and I probably will - but for the time being I have plenty of metal albums in my collection that I haven't even heard yet, so it'll have to wait. And I agree that Russell Allen has a quite raw voice; he also reminds me a bit of Ronnie James Dio at times.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:27am
You can loan every album by the band in the Danish library system if you want to check some of them out before purchase. It�s one of my favorite ways of getting to know artists. I think I own only 20% of the albums I review. Many of the other albums I review are loans from the library. If no one else wants to loan an album it�s possible to loan it for up to 6 months at a time. And that�s for free ( which you already know, I just added this so people who don�t know Denmark understand). Now that�s one of the reasons we pay taxes as high as we do. To get free metalBig smile.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 3:44pm
Oh yeah... I haven't used a generalist public library in Denmark in a decade now; working in Academia, I've primarily used university libraries, because the public libraries never had the kind of books that I am looking for. I don't even know how it works now - you can now use your "CPR Kort", right? The "l�nerkort" don't exist anymore. Maybe I'll do that...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

You can loan every album by the band in the Danish library system if you want to check some of them out before purchase. It�s one of my favorite ways of getting to know artists. I think I own only 20% of the albums I review. Many of the other albums I review are loans from the library. If no one else wants to loan an album it�s possible to loan it for up to 6 months at a time. And that�s for free ( which you already know, I just added this so people who don�t know Denmark understand). Now that�s one of the reasons we pay taxes as high as we do. To get free metalBig smile.

I'm so envious of you guys right now! LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Oh yeah... I haven't used a generalist public library in Denmark in a decade now; working in Academia, I've primarily used university libraries, because the public libraries never had the kind of books that I am looking for. I don't even know how it works now - you can now use your "CPR Kort", right? The "l�nerkort" don't exist anymore. Maybe I'll do that...

Wow you�re kiddin� me man!!! The Danish Library system is like the greatest goldmine. They have tons ( and I mean thousands) of metal albums in the archives and of course lots of albums in other genres too. Even some pretty obscure ones like Magma ( only a few but still). And yes you use your "Sygesikringsbevis" to loan the items. The loaner card went out the door about 10-15 years agoLOL. There was quite a revalution happening about 5-10 years ago when it became possible to loan music from all libraries in Denmark via Bibliotek.dk. Before that you were only allowed to loan music related items from your local library. Now that was a day of joy.

This is the place to go http://bibliotek.dk/. Just feast on that collection. Now that�s what I call awesomeBig smile

I chose the heavy metal tag and made a broad search and the libraries latest purchases comes up first and there was the new Enslaved just as an example of what they have. There�s a small catch though. You�re only allowed to loan new albums six months after the official release date.

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread. The subject is of course still Symphony X awsomeness. Just wanted to make a recommendation to my Danish friend.

Edited by UMUR - 21 Oct 2010 at 2:17am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:21am
Symphony X are excellent and fave album is definitely the latest. Paradise Lost

GLAM METAL!
zhang01 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhang01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 1:27am
My favorite is The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I also enjoy some other albums. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 12:36pm
Open for all to discuss...

Anyone think Power Metal isn't the best fit for Symph X?
Symphonic or Prog metal may be a better fit IMO.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Open for all to discuss...

Anyone think Power Metal isn't the best fit for Symph X?
Symphonic or Prog metal may be a better fit IMO.

They're progressive power metal IMO. I think symphonic and power metal are (in most cases) almost identical genres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic