MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on Carcass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:29pm
Progression.  It seems the average Metalhead doesn't get that concept.  There are only a few bands that can get away with putting out the same album each time. As much as I love them Cannibal Corpse do this.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
Agreed.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 1:39pm
Time for me to listen in a deeper concentration to Surgical Steel: at first listening, it sounded to me like a very good album, just like Heartwork or Necroticism.
A bit like Pestilence (whose last albums were quite enjoyable, if you ask me), I don't see what's wrong with the 40-something pioneers' new offerings. At least, they're far less tiring than some younglings I may have seen live on stage (no names!)
RRROOOAAARRR!!! - Vo�vod, II-1, 1986 B.C.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 3:07pm
Sometimes bands need a break like the one Carcass had to come back rejuvenated.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 8:44am
...and they aren´t finished yet either. There are talks of a new album slowly being written.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 12:51am
Oh that makes my day.  Carcass were playing here in NZ last night, unfortunately I couldn't make it but a mate did.  No doubt I'll hear all about it very soon.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 1:58am
Pretty cool they´d actually take the long trip to New Zealand to play gigs. They´ve probably combined it with an Australian tour, but still I´m thinking it´s probably not a good business deal. The travel costs alone...
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:32am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Pretty cool they´d actually take the long trip to New Zealand to play gigs. They´ve probably combined it with an Australian tour, but still I´m thinking it´s probably not a good business deal. The travel costs alone...

We get a few cool bands here, Meshuggah have made it a couple of times, Immortal, Napalm Death turned up with Carcass.  Fear Factory have been a fair few times, Sepultura are another one.

We are so far away though so good bands coming here are few and far between but well worth it when they do.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:36am
^and the country is so big, that you probably have to live in or nearby one of the larger Towns to be able to go to those gigs right?
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:41am
Well we are all so far apart.  Most gigs are either in Wellington or Auckland.  I live in Napier, almost slap bang in the middle of both.  Its a four hour drive to Wellington and a 5 hour drive to Auckland.  To fly it costs between $300-600.  To top it off most gigs are on a Wednesday or a Thursday so if I want to go it is a minimum 3 days off work.....very rarely do I get to go but when I do it is the trip of the year.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:59am
I guess we´re pretty priviledged then living in Europe, where there are gigs all the time. Of course there are people living on the country side who have the same challenges as you do, but people in urban areas are spoiled with gigs. If I had the Money and the time, I could go to several gigs each week. I live in a suburb to Copenhagen, and it doesn´t take more than half an hour to get to the center of Copenhagen from my home by bus or train. But as I don´t have neither the Money nor the time, I have to pick and chose the gigs I go to, and I don´t go as often as I wish to.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:02am
You lucky, lucky bugger.  I am insanely jealous.  I had a mate in Maryland in the States who went to 3-4 gigs a week.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 7:47am
LOVE Carcass. Like most, Necroticism and Heartwork are my faves. Also loved Surgical Steel. And Swan Song. And ALL their EPs, can't forget their EPs (including last year's!), great stuff.

Haven't seen them live yet :( My sister has met Jeff Walker several times, they hanged around together lots. Supposedly Jeff was going to mail me a Carcass shirt (because they did not bring any in Athens) but I haven't seen anything yet.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:11am
^I saw them live on the Heartwork tour, but I actually wasn´t too impressed. Maybe it has to do with a pretty bad live sound that evening, but the music sounded a bit sterile live too.

...and yeah they have some pretty cool EP releases out there too. Tools of the Trade anyone? Clap
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 2:46am
Tools of the Trade rules.

I missed seeing them last week :(
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 2:57am
:-(
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 3:04am
:-( is an understatement, especially when I hear from one of my mates who went that it was the best concert he has ever been to.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:39am
I saw Carcass  live in Store Vega (Copenhagen) just after they'd released Surgical Steel. That was a very good live experience.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Dobbie03 Dobbie03 wrote:

Tools of the Trade rules.

I missed seeing them last week :(

I also missed seeing Carcass, thanks to not knowing they were coming.Angry

Necroticism is my favourite, but I can take any Carcass, any time EXCEPT Heartwork. I just really hate it. After Necroticism it was just too clean, too death metally, too bland I suppose. I liked Swansong and Wake Up And Smell The Carcass after that. 

Haven't yet heard the latest one, as such things as Carcass albums are quite hard to find here, because there's only one decent record store left since the earthquakes, and of course everyone knows that, and since I only go shopping there about once every six months, I miss a lot of the good shit.

I remember when I first got Symphonies of Sickness/Reek of Putrefaction. I felt like a bit of a weirdo because it seemed so extreme, but I loved it. I wondered if it meant I held serious murderous tendencies or something! After reading the lyrics (naturally, you can't really listen to them...) I got the joke, and decided I loved the band even more, and it made the over-inflated import price I'd paid for it all worth while.

I got the version with the medical textbook artworkClap which was the subject of the police obscenity raid on Earache's offices. The only downside is about 10 tracks from Reek of Putrefaction weren't included because they wouldn't fit on one CD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic