Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Thrash Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Thrash Songs
    Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:28am
Inspired by Certif1ed's NWOBHM Top 10, here's out post-your-top-10-thrash-songs, and this top 10 thread allows both obscurities and super mega hits.

Here's mine (the order's arbitrary though, because I love them equally):

1. Invocator - "Weave the Apocalypse"
2. Megadeth - "Hangar 18"
3. Metallica - "The Shortest Straw"
4. Artillery - "Khomaniac"
5. Slayer - "The Disciple"
6. Exodus - "Toxic Waltz"
7. Annihilator - "Stonewall"
8. Anthrax - "Indians"
9. Sepultura - "Arise"
10. Celtic Frost - "Circle of the Tyrants"
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:27pm
Megadeth - Tornado of Souls, Hangar 18, High Speed Dirt ( Hmm...that was threeWacko)
Metallica - Blackened, Battery ( ups that�s twoSmile)
Slayer - Angel of Death, Live Undead, War Ensemble ( ups three this timeBig smile)
Annihilator - Sixes and Sevens

Hmm...I guess that leaves only one left.

I guess Mass Hypnosis by Sepultura should make the list as it was the song that introduced me to the band and to extreme music in general. I still love that one. It�s in close competition with Inner Self though.

Edited by UMUR - 04 Oct 2010 at 1:28pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:44pm
I probably don't listen to enough pure thrash bands to make a balanced top 10.  It would probably consist of songs mainly from Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, and potentially Testament.  Probably 5 would be Metallica songs.  I'm no fun. LOL
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I probably don't listen to enough pure thrash bands to make a balanced top 10.  It would probably consist of songs mainly from Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, and potentially Testament.  Probably 5 would be Metallica songs.  I'm no fun. LOL

Aw, c'mon... then give us a list where five songs are Metallica songs. It'll be interesting ;-)
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:36pm
Alrighty then. Off the top of my head and in no order:

1. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (aside from the mid section it's a thrash song)
2. Megadeth - Holy Wars
3. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
4. Sepultura - Arise
5. Metallica - Blackened
6. Slayer - Angel Of Death
7. Testament - Over The Wall
8. Metallica - Creeping Death
9. Metallica - Battery
10. Megadeth - Set The World Afire

I tried to leave out slower songs (like some of my favorites on South of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss), and left off some of Anthrax's stuff since I prefer the Bush era (non-thrash) songs.  An honorable mention would go to Forbidden, but I think I'm more of a fan of their riffing than their overall structuring of songs.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:51pm
I've not listened to much thrash in a long, long time.  I think that I would need a multiple choice list of thrash bands and songs from the 80's and early 90's to choose from.  I don't think that I am capable of making a list. LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

1. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (aside from the mid section it's a thrash song)
2. Megadeth - Holy Wars
3. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
4. Sepultura - Arise
5. Metallica - Blackened
6. Slayer - Angel Of Death
7. Testament - Over The Wall
8. Metallica - Creeping Death
9. Metallica - Battery
10. Megadeth - Set The World Afire

All those are great tracks :-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:18am
A song like "Disco's Out, Murder's In" by Suicidal Tendencies could also have made my list.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:17am
A lot of songs could have made the list... I'm already kicking myself for leaving out a whole bunch of kick-ass songs from my list.
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 6:59pm
1. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
2. Slayer - Black Magic
3. Anthrax - A.I.R.
4. Overkill - Fuck You
5. Testament - Over The Wall
6. Megadeth - Holy Wars
7. Metallica - Creeping Death
8. Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua
9. Slayer - War Ensemble
10. Metallica - Helpless
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 3:22am
And now I'm kicking myself for leaving Sacred Reich out, one of my favorite thrash metal bands.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 3:36am
Well not the most thrashy song they ever made...but I�ve played the title track from Independent �till my fingers bled. I can highly recommend guitar beginners to start their metal lessons there. Pretty easy song with very few chords but my my is it a catchy mother.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:11pm
We even had a cover version of that track in our set back in the Erector days.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 1:34am
I would have liked to hear what that sounded like. Great song.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
We've discussed playing it in one of my present bands so maybe there is a chance - but we'd play it in B though.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:37pm
1. Forbidden- Rest in Peace /or Twisted into Form
2. Powermad- Brainstorms
3. Sabbat- Advent of Insanity/Do Dark Horses dream of Nightmares
4. Realm- Endless War /or Scream Bloody Murder
5. Kreator- Betrayer/or When the Sun Burns Red
6. Megadeth- Holy Wars/The Punishment Due
7. Flotsam & Jetsam- Mis-guided Fortune /or No Place for Disgrace
8. Overkill- Coma
9. Metallica- Fight Fire with Fire /or Disposable Heroes
10. Metal Church- (My Favorite) Nightmare

Honourable mentions:
11. Reverend-  Wretched Excess
12. Vio-Lence- World within a World
13. Testament- The Haunting
14. Laaz Rockit- Fire in the Hole
15. Anthrax- Spreading the Disease or/Persistance of Time
16. Deathrow- Events in Concealment

I better stop because I could go on . . .

A little after this "Era" of Thrash I started getting into the more "Technical" Type of Thrash
and Progressive Metal.

Any order, but Top 4 will probably be my fave Thrash Bands of all time, while 16's last album
was the one that made me take notice-as every song is astounding (yet almost forgot to add
them Embarrassed).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Oct 2010 at 2:45pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:55pm
Deathrow seem to be one of those thrash metal acts that never got the recognition they deserved. Take a listen to "Deception Ignored" ( where "Events of Concealment" comes from). Now that�s one beast of a technical thrash metal album. You also mention Realm, which I think is a highly recommendable act too. One part progressive metal and one part thrash. A great combination. I�m pretty sure Psychotic Waltz listened to them in the early days.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 4:51pm
Well of course Wink. . .

I have "Deception Ignored" ONLY on LP Unhappy, and Realm's "Endless War" on LP and the Re-issue CD
that I've waited for 15+ Years for! Big smile "Suiciety" (their 2nd), I have the 1st CD pressing and just got
the Re-Issue, for the King Crimson re-make "One more Red Nightmare" as a bonus Track.
There was a very unusual Record Store on Hollywood Blvd. Decades ago that had it on Vinyl, so I
blew that one Ermm.

Deception Ignored (Deathrow) needs to be re-issued RawksWhomever did the Sabbat re-issues
for the "Noise Label" needs to get on that (As Deathrow were on Noise as well)!  I could have easily
picked ANY song off that album because theyre all excellent, great Tech-Thrash way ahead of its
time.
(Note: all those Thrash songs on my Lists I have either on LP, CD, or both).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Oct 2010 at 4:54pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 5:05pm
Who did the re-issue of Realm�s albums? I�ve been searching for those on CD.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:02pm
OH MY! Shocked!

Oh man its been 2 years at-least! Let me see . . . (looks in my stack here...)
Ha! its our friends at Roadrunner Big smile.
If you go here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1677157433905721%3Aamgusb-97wk&cof=FORID%3A9&q=re-releases#992
You'll see the other re-issues too! They are all limited to 2000 copies and are Numbered and have
a holographic sticker signifying its part of their series (They need to make a special section so we can
see them).
Man... I hope you knew about the Sabbat re-issues Wink in 2007, that is on (looks in stack again...) . . .
Okay thats curious, the Re-issues are on Noise and Sanctuary:
http://www.myspace.com/sanctuaryrecords
Thats ONLY for "History of a Time to Come" and "Dreamweaver" (Now "Mourning has Broken" is
the toughest to find, I have a copy, but want another to send to Progulus.com).

Ugh . . . Sanctuary got absorbed by Universal Confused but Sanctuary UK seems to be running on a shoe
string (read MYspace site info).

UMUR, if you cant order the Realm stuff I can order it via the Amoeba Music "Super Store" in
Hollywood, just PM me here and we'll sort it out Thumbs Up.
Amoeba:
http://www.amoeba.com/

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Oct 2010 at 6:06pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic