MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Recs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Metal Recs
    Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
So I made a thread for black metal recommendation:
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I'm looking for interesting, weird, and/or beautiful black metal bands. Preferrably ones that don't amount to well-played Satanist worship music (I'm looking at you Behemoth), or a neo-nazi punk band at 700 bpm. I like Alcest, Blut Aus Nord, Deafheaven, Gris, Kayo Dot's black metal side, Thantifaxath, early Ulver. Lyrics are a big part of how I listen, and I know it's a weird thing to consider with black metal recs. I just want something that feels a little human, I guess.

What are some death metal bands that are interesting, weird, and/or beautiful?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 4:14pm
As opposed to Black metal, where I´m usually most interested in the more experimental/progressive acts, my interest in death metal is mostly in the more old school artists, but I think I can dig up a few recommendations of artists you might find interesting:

Portal (weird and very unconventional Australian death metal)
Spheres by Pestilence
Cadaver
Carbonized
Diskord
Howls of Ebb
Tribe by Sadist

Edited by UMUR - 01 Feb 2015 at 4:14pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 4:22pm
Well my favorite Death metal bands are Death and Arch Enemy. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but they are great.

As far as weird, I'd go with A Total Wall. I recently added them to the site, they're an Industrial death metal band with some pretty weird albums like 'Soundtrack for your Honeymoon'. You can download all of their EP's for free on their website if you wish. 

http://www.atotalwall.com/downloads/
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 6:48pm
Anything by Ulcerate, Gorguts, Carcass, Immolation, Suffocation, Morgoth just to name a few.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:09pm
I'm not well versed in death metal but -

Death's entire discography, especially the last 3 or 4 albums (goes without saying)
Disma
also seconding the Portal suggestion
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 9:55pm
Thank you guys. Like in the black metal rec thread, I will post with thoughts on the first album I listen to by each artist. I'm still listening to bands in the bm thread, but I also wanted to start listening to some death metal, as I'm hardly familiar at all with the genre.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 11:43pm

Thank you guys. Like in the black metal rec thread, I will post with thoughts on the first album I listen to by each artist. I'm still listening to bands in the bm thread, but I also wanted to start listening to some death metal, as I'm hardly familiar at all with the genre.

Your welcome Smile. Even though I didn't contribute to this LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 1:52am

If you´re not too familiar with the genre, I´d probably listen to some of the old school bands first, to gain an understanding of the genre before venturing into experimental/progressive artists. If that´s interesting for you I´d take a listen to:

Obituary (Cause of Death, The End Complete)
Carcass (Necroticism, Heartwork)
Entombed (first three albums)
Deicide (the debut album)
Morbid Angel (first four albums)
Death (all albums, but they´ve already been mentioned above)
Morgoth (Cursed. My personal favorite is Odium, but it´s usually not praised very high)
Dismember (Like an Ever Flowing Stream)
Pestilence (albums 2-4)
Gorefest (False)
Atrocity (Hallucinations)
Benediction (The Grand Leveller)
Bolt Thrower (all albums excluding their debut)
Darkthrone (their debut album)
Edge of Sanity (most albums, but I´d listen to Unorthodox and Crimson first)
Immolation (all albums. just start from an end).
Napalm Death (Harmony Corruption)
Malevolent Creation (The Ten Commandments, Retribution)
Suffocation (Effigy of the Forgotten, Pierced from Within)
Cannibal Corpse (the first four albums)
Gorguts (I second the recommendation above)
Autopsy (Mental Funeral)

I´ve probably forgotten a lot of artists, that I´d like to recommend, but the above is a good introcution to old school death metal.

Edited by UMUR - 09 Feb 2015 at 9:19am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 12:03pm
Obscura: 'Cosmogenesis', 'Omnivium'
Entombed: 'Wolverine Blues'
Carcass: 'Necroticism', 'Heartwork', 'Surgical Steel'
Cynic: 'Focus'
Atheist: 'Piece of Time', 'Unquestionable Presence', 'Jupiter'
Nocturnus: 'Threshold'
Pestilence: 'Testimony of the Ancients', 'Spheres'
Death: everything
Obituary: 'The End Complete'
At the Gates: 'Slaughter of the Soul' (but check their first couple of albums for a more abstract kind of death metal)
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 12:52pm
Aside from some bands others have said I would say Vader, just for Piotr's unique approach to growling...quite discernible yet, still growly....due to a much "throatier" approach as stated in their bio. Not exactly an experimental type, they're more traditional but still have a different enough edge to their music that I find them worth checking out!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:26pm
Fallujah - prog/tech death metal with atmospheric leanings. Recommend release: The Flesh Prevails (2014).

MaYaN - prog/symphonic death metal with power metal elements and a mix of vocal styles ranging from growls to opera. Recommend release: Antagonise (2014)

Augury - just because they're probably my favourite death metal act though I would say they fit the bill on all three counts you asked for at different times. Recommend release: Concealed (2004)

Lascaille's Shroud - I guess I need to slap a programmed drums warning on this one but I don't seem to notice the difference. Sci-fi prog death with plenty of epic length songs. The second album probably has the weirder stuff especially some of the growled vocals which sound like they go trough some sort of effect to me. Recommend release: Interval 02: Parallel Infinities - The Abscinded Universe (2014).
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 3:42pm
Actually another band that comes to mind is Septic Flesh(or Septicflesh). They're what I consider the seminal "symphonic" death metal band. I was hooked the first few times I listened to them, VERY interesting stuff! The album I listened to most(and is probably my favorite so far) is Sumerian Daemons!Smile

Edited by Psydye - 02 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 10:37am
For more technical Death Metal I find Nile pretty hard to beat. A good place t start would be Those Whom The Gods Detest.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 3:12pm
^Yeah I second that.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 3:16pm
I think Nile are magnificent.  I personally would recommend to start at the beginning of their disco.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
I have been meaning to mention these guys for a while.  If you are wanting some proggie Death Metal than The Chasm are for you :D
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 2:35pm
Thanks for the recs guys. I'm checking these bands out a little more slowly, as I don't really connect as much with the death metal I've heard as I have with other subgenres. But I will check these out, rest assured. Thumbs Up
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:31am
I'd suggest Melechesh. I enjoy them sometimes for a casual listen. They're from Israel and have some neat elements incorporated into their music.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
I like Melechesh but I'm not sure I'd call them death metal
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I like Melechesh but I'm not sure I'd call them death metal
Good point, I was thinking more along the lines of Black Metal. Some of their stuff is a little death-y but it's true that they're mostly black. Sorry. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic