MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agalloch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agalloch
    Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 1:58pm
march 20th, brasov - reduta center, romania

i saw on their myspace page that these guys had some concerts throughout their history, but not enough of 'em - for they don't realy have concert experience. like the concert they had the second day in bucharest, the atmosphere was great (burning onstage some kind of wood that gave an interesting ''smell'' to their good performance), showing that they know how to get your attention. still, i'm not sure if i'd go to another one
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:34pm
I'd say there's not big chances to ever witness them in Finland, so all I have is their live DVD "The Silence of Forgotten Landscapes". Good performance, black&white picture fits well, and not much to complain at all.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:42pm
Hmm, I'd hock off my left leg too see Agalloch live, but I have heard conflicting opinions about their stage performaces. The impression I get from the live videos I've seen is that they prefer intimacy and smaller venues that allow then to explore acoustics and aesthetics. I've never regarded them as a metal "in your face" kind of band.

Do you remember the setlist by any chance?
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:33am
the thing about smaller venues is that they manage to creat a wonderful atmosphere...but both concerts in romania sounded like hell - volume to loud and the distorsion went crazy at some point. so: bonus points for atmosphere, minus points for the fact that they have an obsession playing with a very loud volume - they gave me a headake

setlist (not in order):
not unlike the waves
our fortress is burning 1, 2, 3
limbs
of stone, wind and pillor
(not sure) hallways of enchanted ebony
the lodge
a desolation song
etc
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
Thanks, that sounds like a good list. Pity about the volume.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 11:10pm
Great song list indeed.

Regardless of volume, I'd kill to see Agalloch live.
I could see a small, intimate venue being very fitting, and powerful, for Agalloch
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:28am
Hmmm... never heard of Agalloch - might check them out/ What should we expect?
GLAM METAL!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:33am
found them

too gutteral sorry

I am just not into that gutteral growling stuff anymore - tho once would have loved this I can assure yo. Got way beyond it now and never bother with the growl metal vocals, unless its Opeth and not all through the whole dang album.

I loved the music here though and the vocals just wrecked it.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 16 Oct 2010 at 8:34am
GLAM METAL!
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 12:31pm
their first releases (demos and others) had the black metal voice on them, but after 2002's THE MANTLE, the harsh vocals started to dissapear. you should check out THE MANTLE and ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN (these are their best albums so far, as many consider)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 5:29pm
The growling/whispers of Haughm are an aesthetic to me, I no longer see them as harsh (and they are not even that).
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

found them

too gutteral sorry

I am just not into that gutteral growling stuff anymore - tho once would have loved this I can assure yo. Got way beyond it now and never bother with the growl metal vocals, unless its Opeth and not all through the whole dang album.

I loved the music here though and the vocals just wrecked it.

It's weird that it took your post to help me pay attention to this band finally.  I'm liking "Falling Snow".  Agalloch is now "on my list". Smile
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 9:19pm
Would love to see these guys live, The Mantle was pure bliss to me.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 1:36am
Will be seeing them tomorrow!
Actually later today....

Marrow was a good album but I hope they play some stuff off The Mantle
Also I have heard the same about inconsistency w/ them live, so we'll see. The venue look small, its an artist collective in NYC LOL so that should be fun
I will be sure to write a review of the concert.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 1:51am
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:25am
I have Marrow on loan from the local library at the moment, and while I wasn�t too impressed upon first listen, I can feel it growing on me with each listen. I�ll probably write a review after a few more listens. Besides Marrow I have only listened to the demo and their first album. It�s kind of interesting how they blend melodic doom metal with atmospheric black metal and deliver it in progressive structured songs.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:24pm
Oh Jonas you need to listen to The Mantle. That album was one of those that really blew my mind. Not just really good but hit me on a deep level.
Although all their stuff is pretty good.

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 2:23am
Agalloch
March 22nd, New York City

Saw Agalloch at Le Poisson Rouge. They played with Ariel Ruin, Daniel Menche, and Worm Ouroboros.

Ariel Ruin was a solo artist, a man and an acoustic guitar. Played folky riffs with nice singing. His voice was a bit meh at times. Good act but pretty samey. Not sure I'd ever listen again.

Daniel Menche was another solo artist, a noise musician. The entire stage was in darkness except for a red light on his table of pedals and gadgets. The whole time there was this, well noise and he sat at his table changing volumes, adding various noises, and what looked like a metal strip with some type of mic on it. He held to his throat, drone singing, screaming, hitting the strip to create a thumping and at one point was hitting himself with it. It was quite an experience...one that you felt more than heard. And seeing this man in red glow pushing himself to insanity was beyond words.

Worm Ouroboros is what I can only describe as a post rock band. A trio with females on Guitar and Bass (and vocals) and Aesop Dekker on drums, their songs were lengthy and abruptly changed from ambient passages with bass and sparse gentle guitar, to walls of noise. Really good act, one I'd like to listen too but was difficult for concert.
They were your typical shoegazers, very quiet, little emotion on stage, almost audience interaction, even told someone next to me in the crowd not to use flash. Also their was little build, just light/heavy/light/heavy but still a good act.

Agalloch of course was awesome. My only complaint is that it was difficult to hear John. Often I just heard a screaming...I could make out his voice but that's it. This may have been due to the sound guy who had Worm Ouroboro's bass way to high as well...but the show was great.
Agalloch were surprisingly into it. John mainly stayed to his chair playing guitar and standing to sing, but the bassist and Don Anderson moved around a lot. Don was really into the show, often standing on the edge of stage, interacting with the audience, sometimes flat out running across stage, sang along the whole time and even rocked out a bit. Given the 3 introspective acts before...this was nice. And it's always good to see a band into it, especially when sincere.

They did a few stand alone songs but most of the show was in a medley style. They played almost all of "Marrow of the Spirit" in some form and a lot from "Ashes Against the Grain". They also did a surprising number from "Of Stone Wind and Pillor". The concert also seemed like a big fan favor, as most of the songs were quite thrashier than on the albums. Faster, a lot more double bass and thrash drumming. Also there were a few extended sections so we could rock out.

The 3 of them held their guitars in the air as the music ended and walked off stage, leaving their instruments buzzing and leaving feedback. After a bit of the noise, they came back for an encore and ended the show with the only song they played from the Mantle: In the Shadow of our Pale Companion

Good show, and good guys who really seemed into the show and were thankful. Supposedly was their first time playing in NYC.
Left in a hurry, but Don did stay on stage for a minute or two and shook hands with anyone who wanted.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 23 Mar 2011 at 2:25am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 2:58am
Sounds like a cool gig Brian. Always nice to see something different supporting the main act. I�ve been to shows which featured 4 or 5 brutal death metal acts and by the time you reached the main act,  you were too exhausted to participate in the mosh. A bit of variation doesn�t hurt IMO.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 3:03am
It was an awesome show!
One thing I forgot, I smelled something that I thought was weed during the show LOL deff had a burning wood smell. My brother who was more center stage than I said it was something near John that would put out that smoke. I wonder if it was the wood the band is named after?

And you are so right about variation, and the 4 acts were certainly all different. Though the first 3 all were alike in that they were introspective, very them and us ya know? Made the concert a bit rough actually, but also Agalloch so much better to see them come out with energy!
Oh and there was no moshing, it was all slow trance or headbanging. During some parts when they really thrashed we got bouncing, like up onto our toes. Remember this crowd was mostly hipster/prog and/or avant metal fan so bouncing was the most extreme we got LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 23 Mar 2011 at 3:05am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic