Poll Question: Who.s your fav and where do you lean with your style of Metal
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
69 [66.35%]
35 [33.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:23pm
Opeth don't do anything to me.
Dream Theater popularized the prog-metal genre and released the essential 'images and words'.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:23pm
Definitely Opeth for me; I have tons of respect for Dream Theater for their abilities, although I find their songwriting much less enjoyable.

Favourite style of metal right now would be avant metal with growls, but I have to thank Opeth for making me enjoy growls.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Definitely Opeth for me; I have tons of respect for Dream Theater for their abilities, although I find their songwriting much less enjoyable.

Favourite style of metal right now would be avant metal with growls, but I have to thank Opeth for making me enjoy growls.
On Ya Joel..........Right choiceBig smile I'm off to do something really old man Aussie and thats mowing lawnsDisapprove Rather play music but this is the best time to put on Phil Collins's later albums when the mowers on full throttle. ( Can't hear it then)Wink
Matt
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsms810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 8:58am
Wow opeth by so much it is untrue... DT don't do it for me. Even though im a prog metal nut and have repeatedly tried Dream theater thinking i must be missing something.... theyv just never clicked for me
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:32am
Voted Opeth (fan enough to have had the @ logo tatooed), but I like DT also... I just prefer Opeth !
deathlifereborn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deathlifereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:16am
Opeth! My favorite band too lol Big smile
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 1:32pm
If I ignore their first couple of albums which are fairly average IMO then I'll go for Opeth.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 6:47am
I went with DT, although I love Opeth, too.

This doesn't really have anything to do with my favorite style of metal, as such. I just think that DT are more important and have had a bigger impact in prog metal than Opeth has. Also, had there been no DT, there would be no Opeth - �kerfeldt himself has stated that it is because of DT that Opeth sound the way they do. I love both bands and both bands have made songs that rock my world and songs that don't do anything for me. I just like DT a tad more overall.

Edited by Time Signature - 15 May 2010 at 6:52am
poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poslednijat_colobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:32am
Dream Theater
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
This was very hard to choose between, but I had to go with my first metal band, Dream Theater. Since they were both progish in a way, the only seperating factor was that without DT, for me, there would be no Opeth, or metal for that instance.

martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:34am
Voted, and then realised this thread is almost a year old, but whatever. Dream Theater all the way.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:59pm
Oh, this is hard. My two favorite bands of all time..... but I have to go with Dream Theater. One, Dream Theater was the first prog band I ever got into, and from Dream Theater I got into Opeth. They virtually created Prog metal (along with Queensryche and Fates Warning), and they were by far the most successful of the 3. They themselves were a major influence on Opeth, thereby making Dream Theater better, by the width of a hair, in my mind.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:14pm
I agree, accept for the fact that they created prog metal. I believe that started w/ 7th Son IMO.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:35pm
Yea, that got the ball rolling but what we know of as prog metal today essentially started with DT
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:39pm
More popular prog metal started with DT

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:48pm
Ha! Both of you are wrong! Tongue

Here's my chronological evolution of prog metal's key releases... Dream Theater popularized prog metal, but saying they began it is quite a stretch. Here we go...

1985 - Watchtower's Energetic Disassembly

1986 - Queensryche's Rage For Order

1988 - Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

1988 - Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime

1989 - Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry

1992 - Dream Theater's Images and Words

Of course, there's more but without these albums, traditional prog metal as we know it wouldn't exist IMO.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:03pm
Operation: Mindcrime is the first case of badass prog metal
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Here's my chronological evolution of prog metal's key releases... Dream Theater popularized prog metal, but saying they began it is quite a stretch. Here we go...

Of course, there's more but without these albums, traditional prog metal as we know it wouldn't exist IMO.

I was almost right with 7th Son. LOL

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Watchtower is more jazz thrash metal though.... Wink
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:28pm
^ One could argue that Watchtower's highly technical approach to thrash metal was the beginning of progressive metal. Of course, it's more subtly progressive than, say, Images and Words, but I've always considered it the first prog metal album (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this).
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic