MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums we've been told to hate but we don't ...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums we've been told to hate but we don't ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums we've been told to hate but we don't ...
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:16pm
Everyone's heard the hate, the hype, the horror from almost everyone when it comes to certain albums...
...Some say 'everything metallica did after 'And Justice For All' should be burned at the stake'. Others say that 'Motley Crue's albums between '93 and '97 should be shoved down a toilet and merrily flushed away'. Some even go as far as to say that a whole rock genre should never have happened, for example, 'grunge should have had an atomic bomb dropped on it before Nirvana got the chance to make it big with Nevermind'.
We've all heard this stuff before...but to you, my fellow misfits, I dedicate this thread, to you who love the rock and metal albums that everyone else hates. You may list them here and you might just find that you're not alone in your rebellion after all!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:32pm
I was thinking of making a similar topic - in fact i did on the 2 prog forums i often write, but with prog albums, of course. 

here are some examples of mine -

Queensryche - Hear in the now frontier (not a great album but I like it)
Kreator - Endorama (never understood why so many dislike it, just because it's an isolated experiment)
Metallica - Load
Iron Maiden - X Factor (I like it a lot)
Def Leppard - Slang (trying to fit in with the times, it's hard to survive in the mainstream, still i enjoy this album, last DL listenable for me)
Testament - The Ritual (yes, not a thrash album, so what? great vocals and excellent guitar work)
Megadeth - Risk (yes i like it, although it's not great, it's enjoyable for me)

surely there are others, I'll be back...LOL

FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:44pm
Here's mine...
Risk- Megadeth
Load- Metallica
Chinese Democracy- Guns 'n' Roses
St. Anger- Metallica
Caress Of Steel- Rush
Technical Ecstacy- Black Sabbath
Never Say Die- Black Sabbath
Drama- Yes
Duke- Genesis (the phil haters told me not to)
Abacab- Genesis (^ same again...)
In Through The Out Door- Led Zeppelin
Slippery When Wet- Bon Jovi (the bon jovi haters told me not to)
Demolition- Judas Priest
The Division Bell- Pink Floyd
Katy Lied- Steely Dan
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm
)
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Here's mine...
Risk- Megadeth
Load- Metallica
Chinese Democracy- Guns 'n' Roses
St. Anger- Metallica
Caress Of Steel- Rush
Technical Ecstacy- Black Sabbath
Never Say Die- Black Sabbath
Drama- Yes
Duke- Genesis (the phil haters told me not to)
Abacab- Genesis (^ same again...)
In Through The Out Door- Led Zeppelin
Slippery When Wet- Bon Jovi (the bon jovi haters told me not to)
Demolition- Judas Priest
The Division Bell- Pink Floyd
Katy Lied- Steely Dan

Division Bell bad??!! wtf?

I also love Technical Ecstasy (except for that cheesy ballad She's Gone Dead)

You mentioned Yes - Drama - that's one of my favourite Yes albums. Genesis  - Duke is a good album as well. 

I love Presence and In Through the Out Door - Led Zep did no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I also forgot Deep Purple - Abandon and Bananas which i really enjoyed.

I also like Uriah Heep's Abominog which is an acquired taste for many.

Caress of Steel bad??!! well some people don't like Geddy's early vocals.

Bon Jovi's Sleepery when wet is not bad at all. Their 2007 album Lost Highway is their weakest IMO, although there are a few good songs on it.

Edited by LittleBig - 28 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:11pm
Metallica's Load-era is the first thing that comes to mind.  I can't think of much else off the top of my head, but some of the ones already posted I also agree with.  Testament's "The Ritual", Yes "Drama", and Genesis "Duke" are all good albums.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 12:12am
I haven't come across much AJFA hate. Load-era is what gets all the hate.  Anyway, my pick is Technical Ecstasy, not a bad album at all and doesn't deserve the flak it gets.  Also, Turbo...I thought JP adapted to the pop metal sound well there, somehow Turbo Lover became "one of the worst metal songs".
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Caress of Steel bad??!! well some people don't like Geddy's early vocals.

I think Caress of Steel is their worst album, but definitely not because of Geddy's vocals. Their ambition was much greater than their ability at the time, they wanted to make big prog epics, but didn't have the slightest idea how to make it flow and form a cohesive composition. That's how I see it. On 2112 they achieved it after stumbling the first time.

But yeah. Load, Re-Load, St. Anger, Chinese Democracy, Born Again... Good stuff.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 1:38am
...and Then There Were Three by Genesis usually receive a lot of criticismCry. I absolutely adore the album.

Someone mentioned Endorama by Kreator, I�ll mention Renewal. Probably my favorite album by the band, but everyone else seem to hate the album.

Edited by UMUR - 17 Oct 2010 at 1:39am
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 2:46am
St. Anger 
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 11:22am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

...and Then There Were Three by Genesis usually receive a lot of criticismCry. I absolutely adore the album.

you've just put a smile on my face Smile

I love this album as well, in fact it's one of my favourite, not ashamed to admit it. Evil Smile
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:39am
Scarsick by Pain of Salvation immediately comes to mind. One of my all-time favorites...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 4:55am
When it comes to Genesis, I like all of their albums - including "Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance", which I've otherwise been told to hate by progheads. The only album which I am not really interested in is their debut album. Similarly, I like "90125" quite a lot, which is another album that has been bashed by progheads.

I actually quite like "St. Anger" by Metallica, because it was, to me, a step back towards the faster type of thrash metal they played before. I don't like "Load" and "reload" though, but I disliked them before it becamse trndy to hate Metallica.

I also quite like the two Tim Owens fronted Judas Priest albums, and I also love "Turbo" which is otherwise the Priest album that a lot of people love to hate, because of the glam image the band experimented with at the time.

Celtic Frost also experimented with a more glam look and a more traditional sound on "Cold Lake" which even Tom Warrior hates, but I think the album is not that bad. Musically, it's not sleazy or glammy, but more traditional metal.

I am not the biggest fan in the world of "The X Factor" by Maiden, but I don't hate it - I think there's a lot of good stuff on it. But I do not like "Virtual XI", I must admit, even though I consider Maiden to be my number one favorite band.

Carcass' "Swansong" is another unpopular album, which I think actually contains some very good songs, like "Keep on Rotting in the Free World" and "Tomorrow Belongs to Nobody".

I like "Technical Ecstasy" too, and also "Never Say Never", but there's another Sabbath album that a lot of people hate, which I think has some good stuff on it too: "Born Again".

A lot of metalheads hate Nirvana, and I've never been a big fan of theirs either, but I do like "Nevermind" alot, which I think is a brilliant album. I don't care for their other releases though.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:47am
I like "Swansong" as well, but it's not as consistent as Heartwork or Necrotism, and I prefer that brand of Carcass to their more rock-influenced sound.  When I first heard their compilation "Wake Up And Smell The Carcass", I was surprised that some of those songs made in the Swansong sessions didn't make the cut.  I  prefer "Edge of Darkness" over alot of the material that made Swansong.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:02am
Just today paid for four Striborg CDs. Must be among the most hated black metal bands due to the overabundance of material and the lack of 'musical values' due to the weird dissonant atmosphere, but I've liked pretty much everything I've heard of Striborg so far. Some material is of course worse than some, but still.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I like "Swansong" as well, but it's not as consistent as Heartwork or Necrotism, and I prefer that brand of Carcass to their more rock-influenced sound.

Me, too, I mean "Necroticism" is a death metal masterpiece.

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

When I first heard their compilation "Wake Up And Smell The Carcass", I was surprised that some of those songs made in the Swansong sessions didn't make the cut.  I  prefer "Edge of Darkness" over alot of the material that made Swansong.

Yeah, I'm glad they released those tracks.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

you've just put a smile on my face Smile

I love this album as well, in fact it's one of my favourite, not ashamed to admit it. Evil Smile
While it is not my favorite Genesis album i also enjoy it a lot, too.Smile

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:51am

^ And then there Were Three is one of my favorite Genesis albums. It's the best post-Peter Gabriel-era Genesis album IMO.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:52am
Metallica - Load
Metallica - Reload 
Metallica - St. Anger
Megadeth - Risk

There's easily more, but these are the first ones I could think of.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 2:26am
Falling into Infinity and Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater.

American Idiot by Green Day.

Once by Nightwish.

Scarsick by Pain of Salvation.

10,000 Days by Tool (maybe it doesn't really count, since plenty of people still love it)

Anything by Behold... The Arctopus.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 3:34am
Anything by Korn LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic