MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog metal genres poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What prog metal is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

PROGRESSIVE GLAMM!!!!!????
Now come on! Angry LOL You just made that up!

I said it was a stretch! Though I definitely think Queensryche has been categorized as glam before.

I couldn't even find any progressive gothic bands! Tongue And prog alt-metal and prog industrial aren't exactly around too much either.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 9:07pm
Yeah Angry . . .

Thats the BIGGEST one that pisses me off, they've been called "Hair Band" as well (See "The Warning" and
especially "Rage for Order") just because of the Pics on those 2 albums.
QR has to be one of the fore-fathers of Prog Metal (maybe even Power Metal, as Helloween definitely made
it a the genre it is today).

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

^ Emotional - not emo. Wink

Hehe . . .
But Emo derrives from "Emotional" (Damn "Dash Board Confessional", theyre to blame! Whinny bastards...)

These past 2 days at MMA have really pissed me off LOL . . . sorry folks Embarrassed.
(I need to listen to some extreme death metal about now Tongue).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 06 Mar 2011 at 9:13pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 9:26pm
By the way . . .

Sure, this sounds very Glamm Tongue:

And . . .

Some of the heaviest stuff I heard in 1983 (originally recorded in 1980).  "Rage" may
have been one of the 1st Thrash/Speed Metal songs next to Accept's "Fast as a Shark"
and Loudness "Speed".  Though I'm sure their are some hidden gems out there.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 06 Mar 2011 at 9:39pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Yeah Angry . . .

Thats the BIGGEST one that pisses me off, they've been called "Hair Band" as well (See "The Warning" and
especially "Rage for Order") just because of the Pics on those 2 albums.
QR has to be one of the fore-fathers of Prog Metal (maybe even Power Metal, as Helloween definitely made
it a the genre it is today).

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

^ Emotional - not emo. Wink

Hehe . . .
But Emo derrives from "Emotional" (Damn "Dash Board Confessional", theyre to blame! Whinny bastards...)

These past 2 days at MMA have really pissed me off LOL . . . sorry folks Embarrassed.
(I need to listen to some extreme death metal about now Tongue).

Try to look at it objectively. Does this:

Sound too far off from this?

Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 12:03am
Haha!

The ol' "Empire" Card!  Well what can you say, its their most commercial album but DAMN its a good one.
I can only admit that its a Progressive Metal Band that had a very succesful and commercial Hit Album Wink.
I mean, I was thinking I was bad with "Sub-genres of sub-genres" LOL.
. . . nope, will not go with Progressive "Glamm" Approve.
Also their approach to this sound of Empire was soo polished and almost perfect, it just seemed far
beyond a Glamm moniker, with their subject matter, even if a "Love Song" the lyrics were more thoughtful
and thought provoking.  As many Prog Metal bands take this approach.

I'll add these to the Queensryche Campaign (By the way, I've said before, QR have been a HUGE
disapointment to me since "Q2K", but with "American Soldier" seeming like they could be coming back
in the right steps . . . we'll see Ermm):

The piece that would set the tone for Promised Land

The "Lets just go completely Prog Rock/Metal" Album!

"Rage for Order" had its hints of the direction for "Empire" . . .

(from the Building Empires Vid and Tour)

The highly Influencial album and its Mini-Epic w/ the Late Michael
Kamen's beautiful Orchestration . . .

Big smile

P.S. if Skid Row did more songs like "Slave to the Grind" which is almost a Thrash
song, I'd been a big fan Wink. Sebastian is a really good singer though, he's NUTZ,
but a good vocalist . . .
Have you heard this Prog Metal band w/Sebastian?

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 07 Mar 2011 at 12:24am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic