TROUBLE — Trouble

TROUBLE - Trouble cover

Album · 1990

1. At the End of My Daze (3:11)
2. The Wolf (4:34)
3. Psychotic Reaction (3:14)
4. A Sinner's Fame (4:18)
5. The Misery Shows (Act II) (7:21)
6. R.I.P. (4:08)
7. Black Shapes of Doom (3:47)
8. Heaven on My Mind (4:09)
9. E.N.D. (2:23)
10. All Is Forgiven (5:10)

- Eric Wagner / vocals
- Bruce Franklin / guitars
- Rick Wartell / guitars
- Ron Holzner / bass
- Barry Stern / drums

Full-length, Def American, February 13th, 1990

Produced by Rick Rubin.

Available on CD, Cassette and LP by Def American.

All track by E.Wagner , B.Franklin & R.Wartell

Thanks to UMUR, Unitron for the updates

Buy TROUBLE - TROUBLE music

TroubleTrouble
Did 2019
TroubleTrouble
Compilation
Pan American Records 2019
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 72h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & TROUBLE music

TROUBLE TROUBLE reviews

"Trouble" is the 4th full-length studio album by US doom metal/heavy rock act Trouble. The album was released through the Rick Rubin owned Def American Recordings in February 1990. It´s the band´s first release on the label and label boss Rick Rubin acts as producer on the album. It´s of some notice that the album is actually the second release by the band to feature an eponymous title as Trouble´s debut album from 1984 also featured that title. The latter had it´s title changed to "Psalm 9" after the release of the 1990 album.

Musically the album takes a bit of a left turn compared to the three preceding releases by the band. While "Run to the Light (1987)" wasn´t nearly as doomy and heavy as the first two releases by the band, it was still through and through a doom metal release. The same can´t be said about "Trouble", which features a more accessible vers/chorus structured hard/heavy rock with only very few nods toward doom metal. Examples of the latter style can be heard in the intro to "R.I.P." and in the middle section of "Heaven on My Mind". A psychadelic element has also crept into the band´s sound, which can be heard on "The Misery Shows (Act II)", where there are nods toward both Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Mostly though the tracks just rock really hard with sharp and groove laden riffing. It´s often said that a self-titled release signals a significant change in sound or a return to the roots, and the former is certainly true when it comes to this album.

The band make the transition with great success though and even though the musical style is in many ways quite different from what came before, this is still unmistakably the sound of "Trouble". Heavy hard rocking riffing, a heavy rhythm section (more hard rocking and groove laden than earlier), and of course the powerful and rusty sounding vocals by Eric Wagner in front. A bit more simple and accessible but still damn heavy. The material is generally of high quality and all tracks are memorable and well played. The Rick Rubin production suits the music well and overall "Trouble" is quite the enjoyable listen if you adjust your expectations to how it sounds and don´t expect it to be a full blown doom metal album. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.
I was surprised to learn that Trouble's second self-titled album (their debut would later be retitled Psalm 9 to distinguish it from this one) was produced by Rick Rubin, because it lacks the deft touch he brought to other albums such as Slayer's classic recordings on Def American. Then again, the material here isn't exactly inspiring, consisting as it does of rote repetition of Sabbath-derived riffs and showing more or less no progress or development over the band's previous albums. If you are a keen Trouble fan then it might be enjoyable, but most listeners will find any of their preceding albums to be a superior choice.

No TROUBLE TROUBLE reviews posted by members yet.

• michelandrade