STABBING WESTWARD — Darkest Days

STABBING WESTWARD - Darkest Days cover

Album · 1998

1. Darkest Days (3:51)
2. Everything I Touch (3:23)
3. How Can I Hold On (4:28)
4. Drugstore (4:57)
5. You Complete Me (4:05)
6. Save Yourself (4:13)
7. Haunting Me (3:35)
8. Torn Apart (3:24)
9. Sometimes It Hurts (3:39)
10. Drowning (3:27)
11. Desperate Now (5:24)
12. Goodbye (1:56)
13. When I'm Dead (3:04)
14. The Thing I Hate (3:36)
15. On Your Way Down (4:39)
16. Waking Up Beside You (6:33)

- Christopher Hall / Vocals, Guitar

Thanks to UMUR, Stooge for the updates

Buy STABBING WESTWARD - DARKEST DAYS music

More places to buy metal & STABBING WESTWARD music

STABBING WESTWARD DARKEST DAYS reviews

This sumptuous feast of gothy industrial rock may well be Stabbing Westward's finest hour. They still obviously take a lot of influence from Nine Inch Nails, but there's a genuineness of emotion underpinning the album which had been lacking in some of their earlier work; the band really convince you that they believe in what they are doing here. Lead singer Chris Hall, in particular, doesn't seem to worry too much as to whether he's mastering his Trent Reznor impersonation but simply sings from the heart. The classic problem of long albums (this one runs for over 64 minutes) - namely, filler - is avoided this time around and the end result is a career high point.

Polo
"Darkest Days" is STABBING WESTWARD's, maybe even industrial music's, magnum opus. Even though I'm a serious prog fan and dislike the majority of metal bands out there (99% wouldn't be a bad estimative), I have to accept that this is a masterpiece of music.

Distorted drop-D guitars, haunting synths, tribal drumming, heavy bass and bleak lyrics make this concept album (divided in 4 acts) sound really interesting and strangely addicting: better than most stuff Trent Reznor of NINE INCH NAILS has released.

The eponymous song is a scary intro in 3/4; processed vocals and distorted guitar and synth riffs create a dark atmosphere, just before the rhythm session enters.

Andy Kubiszewski's drumming sounds just massive here. All tracks are heavy and feature incredible riffs, a trademark of SW's music. Christopher Hall's shouts are emotional and organic, featuring some processing in a couple of tracks; the quasi-death growl on When I'm Dead is amazing. Walter Flakus and Mark Eliopulos distorted playing are the cherry on this cake; even though there aren't any solos here, these guys show they can make some **tchin' music. Jim Seller's scooped StingRay has got a beautiful, driving tone - Torn Apart and On Your Way Down are landmarks for metal bass playing.

5-star songs: Darkest Days, How Can I Hold On, Drugstore, You Complete Me, Save Yourself, Torn Apart, Desperate Now, When I'm Dead, Waking Up Beside You;

4-star songs: Everything I Touch, Haunting Me, The Thing I Hate, On Your Way Down;

3-star songs: Sometimes it Hurts, Drowning, Goodbye.

A must-have for fans of rock and metal.

• aglasshouse