MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Queensryche appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Queensryche appreciation thread
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:12pm
No Queensryche threads yet? Well, let's start one here: talk about your favourite albums, songs, the works... Smile

An album like Operation:Mindcrime needs no introduction; after this album, although they never shined like they did in the 80s, they delivered some good music - Empire, Promised Land and Tribe deserve to be mentioned. I even like some songs on their least popular albums Hear in the Now Frontier and his follow up album, but I'll get back to this later.

Edited by LittleBig - 04 Mar 2018 at 2:06am
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:33pm
Great band, one of my all-time metal favourites. Saw them last year at ProgNation - we were so lucky here as to have them guest on the tour just for that one date in the DC/Baltimore area. Their new material may not be as strong as their classics, but it shows they still have a few tricks up their collective sleeves - and Geoff Tate is one hell of a frontman (as well as an extremely influential vocalist). As to my favourite songs, besides the whole of the masterly Mindcrime, I'd like to mention "Roads to Madness" and "Della Brown".
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:36pm
of course i forgot to mention their last album (American Soldier)  which i for one thought it was ok.

Edited by LittleBig - 04 Mar 2018 at 2:07am
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:51pm
While not being a big fan of the band (or indeed the genre), Operation: Mindcrime has been on my MP3 player for months, and I still can't say I'm bored with it.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:07pm
Never a huge fan of Queensryche, but I can bust out some of their albums every once in a while.  I recall The Warning being a good listen, but it's been a few years since I've spun that record.  Operation Mindcrime is indeed a great album with a good variety of songs on it.  I used to have Empire, but I didn't interest me too much.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:43am
I almost go back to the beginning with Queensryche.  I have The Warning and Rage for Order on vinyl from back when they were originally released.  I didn't get the EP until years later on CD.  I love Operation Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land.  I also rate American Soldier quite high.  I have their entire discography and enjoy most of their output to a certain extent.  I even enjoyed Operation Mindcrime 2, despite the general panning that it has got in internet land.  As I type, I am currently listening to their cover album Take Cover.  I enjoy hearing their interpretations of the various classic rock songs.  In my mind Geoff Tate has one of the top 5 voices within my circle of metal knowledge and it is enjoyable to hear him sing these cover songs. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 7:51am
Big fan of "Operation Mindcrime" but none of their other albums come near IMO. Most of them are high quality metal though. I saw them live on the Empire tour on a bill that said AC/DC, Metallica, Queensr�che and The Black Crowes. It was one of my first concerts so needless to say that I was in awe. That�s a show I will never forget.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
Operation: Mindcrime is among my all-time favorite albums. I like a lot of their other albums (namely Empire, Rage For Order, and Promised Land), but they have had more than their share of weak releases. I do really like their newest album, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:01am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I almost go back to the beginning with Queensryche.  I have The Warning and Rage for Order on vinyl from back when they were originally released.  I didn't get the EP until years later on CD.  I love Operation Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land.  I also rate American Soldier quite high.  I have their entire discography and enjoy most of their output to a certain extent.  I even enjoyed Operation Mindcrime 2, despite the general panning that it has got in internet land.  As I type, I am currently listening to their cover album Take Cover.  I enjoy hearing their interpretations of the various classic rock songs.  In my mind Geoff Tate has one of the top 5 voices within my circle of metal knowledge and it is enjoyable to hear him sing these cover songs. LOL

I have the album too, and you can find my review of it on ProgArchives. In my view, not all of their covers are totally successful, but there are some crackers indeed - like "Neon Knights" or "Bullet the Blue Sky". Incidentally, I also have both their first two album on vinyl, though heaven knows where they are now.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:38pm
I really like the first "Operation: Mindcrime", but my undisputed favorite is "Empire". I also quite appreciate "The Promised Land" and their very old stuff, too, and "American Soldier" is not bad either. I'm not too fond of "Hear in the Now Frontier", which I think is quite bland 90s rock.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:49am
Cry . . . I have lost the Faith.

My story and Love for The Queen of the Riech!
I was into Queensryche when I 1st heard their EP on LA's now long gone station KMET 94.7 (now a
"Smooth" Jazz station). Our Infamous Jim Ladd (now on KLOS 95.5) had one of the 1st ALL Metal
Shows in the Nation called "The KMETal Shop" for 3 hours on Fridays at 10pm.
Me and my friend scowered every Store for its release, finally it debuted and wore out my LP.
Metallica and QR were my fave Metal Bands for quite sometime.
I have all their catalogue up to Promised Land on LP/Vinyl (and still have them all Big smile) and up
to Operation Mindcrime II on CD's (QR EP's to OMII as well).
Its funny how me and a friend loved their 1st Video "Queen of the Ryche" , its pretty corny now,
but a fantastic heavy track that could pass for a QR Thrash song (1983!).

Love the "Star Wars Title Crawl", brings back good memories of that time in
my life Smile.

The Lady Wore Black and Nightrider were awesome songs as well.  Its amazing that they never
played a Club or Show as their Demo was heard by a Record Exect at EMI and Signed!

(I had not seen this Vid till "Building Empires", I imagine it was not
circulated widely at the time it was made).

I waited in baited breath for their next  album "The Warning", man . . .
Just a solid Album through and through, the obvious ones were to become classics, The Warning,
and Take Hold of the Flame which set in stone Geoff Tate was a Vocal God.
But my personal faves were Before the Storm, Roads to Madness and NM156, NM is still my all
time fave QR song.  And who would ever think "Whistles" mixed with Metal, well . . . Tate did and
used them at just the right times.
I am lucky to still have, un-released on DVD (I'm sure they'll get around to it), only on VHS "Live
in Tokyo
" which is amazing, and we get to see Rockenfield beat his Chained Drum Kit, complete
with Tubular Bell Tree and Gong, be beatin' senseless (That man hit them Drums HARD).
Chris DeGarmo, Michael Wilton doing their best duals and Eddie Jackson and his galloping hand-
picking on Bass . . . these guys were musician musicians.
Lots of cool audio engineering to boot, things in the backround, and the music sounded HUGE,
and even the "Dirty Harry 44mag." Sounds sampled in Rockenfields Simmons Pads!

(YES!!! Capitol/EMI put up The Warning Live in Tokyo version with
Rockenfields "Mini Drum Solo"! Listen/see his Simmons Electronic
Drum Pads). 

Rage!
QR would take advantage of their "audio" capabilities with their next "Rage for Order", at 1st I was
a bit "Put Off" by their "Glam" look on the back of the album, and Pics within (As I was NEVER a
fan of Glam), but their music was getting even more "Prog Metal" (a new term I started hearing by
then-and started looking into).  Cool audio samples and FX/Keyboard textures and even better
Recording. Faves would be Neue Regel, Walk through the Shadows, Screaming in Digital and
I Will Remember, but another solid album (Though "Gonna' get close to you" had to grow on me-
Did you know it wasa "Remake"? as the re-make is very faithful to "Dalbello's" original):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-e-lZekd2Y
This would be the 1st time to see them. Saw them at a small venue at the Santa Monica Civic
Auditorium. Still one of my all time fave Metal shows, Rockenfields Drums were really weird with
plastic tubing in and out everywhere.
They did not appear with the "make-up" and hair like the album but wore the Uniforms, they
looked pretty cool.
The Whisper on the Rage for Order Tour:

Well . . .
The next album had to actually grow on me, yes-no kidding, I thought "Rage" was a bit heavier,
but soon would realize the ones that grew on me would show the test of time.
Operation Mind Crime was Metals answer to Pink Floyds "The Wall", but more realisticaly, a
"Concept Album" done by a Metal Band.  This story could be made into a Movie, and they did
a very good job with the VHS Video that was presented as a Filmed Story, and then the
"Box Set/Limited Edition" was released of the entire Live set (The BEST one imo), which also
comes with its Live CD (VHS w/ CD or Cassette). Its also available on DVD.
I think I saw this Tour as well, but they would play ALL the tracks at another "Special Engagement"
a year or 2 later (maybe during the Empire Tour).
What do you say about faves on this one, the entire album is a solid masterpiece.

Empire.
Even when making an AOR/Metal album and making "Hits" they still sound good! They have
become a solid Metal Band capable of no wrong, strong "Songs" yet still retaining their signature
sound.  Again, I think every song is flawless, a really excellent album (though Della Brown and
Is there Anybody Listening have a special place).  I started to collect all the EP's and CD singles
from this album as well.
This was the 1st QR Concert I'd see gorgeous Girls in Skirts and Heels walking around, but still,
the Guys were the ones singing passionately in the crowd:

. . . I'm sure new fans were "Shocked" to hear older songs and "Mind Crime" tracks LOL.
I remember Tate saying to the New Fans, "I bet some of you are saying . . .What the hell is this
stuff theyre playing?" LOL.
Soon after, they released the Excellent Video of their History called "Building Empires" and had
excellent "Un-Plugged" versions, apparently shown on MTV:

(watch as the band-especially DeGarmo, crack a smile from
the "energy" they get from the crowd, they were really knocking
them dead).

A Prog Masterpiece.
I know QR lost many fans because off ths album, but it would become my Fave. Promised Land
was all I wanted in a Prog Metal Album, complete with SoundFX all the way through, a feast for
headphones and an acculmination of all theyve learned and refined.
I cherish each song. And at the time, was lucky enough to find a Japanese Import CD with
Bonus Tracks ("The Real World", "Last time in Paris" and the excellent Band version of
"Someone Else"), but now you can get the same song extras on the Re-Masters.
It is totally sad that they did not put this Tour on Video, as it was presented as a "Stage Play",
even more so than "Mind Crime"!  Again, one of my fave tours and blessed to have witnessed
it all go down:

(Check out all the Tracks on YOUtube to see the "Promised Land Tour").

Beginning of the End.
Hear in the Now Frontier I enjoyed actually, but it wasnt a "musicians" album, but a "Song" album,
but from a Grunge era that had faded 2-3 years prior. Some of my faves would be "Cuckoo�s Nest",
"Some People Fly", "Anytime/Anywhere", the only song ever sung by DeGarmo "All I Want", and the
single "Sign of the Times".  DeGarmo started to play alot of slide and again, songs that sounded like
they came from the Grunge Era . . . but hey, I figured, their albums always sounded different with
each release, so what could be next? . . .

DeGarmo leaves.
I really was anticipating great things, and LOVED the album cover for Q2k, thinking "Cool! theyre
gonna' sing more topics around computers and technology and our society!" . . . nope.
Another GRUNGE album . . . and surprise! DeGarmo leaves Unhappy.
Even when DeGarmo came back for Tribe, it was lackluster, the wind was knocked out of its Sails,
their was no life in QR anymore, the dynamics seemed to be gone forever with each album after.
No more emphasis on good solid Guitar Playing, no fireworks, no "feeling". Songs that meandered
to nowhere, no resolution, and Tate almost phoning in the vocals . . . What Happened?

OMII . . . why?
When I 1st heard that they were going to do a "Mind Crime II" everyone gushed and were excited.
I remember vividly my reaction . . .
"They are trying to re-gain former glory without the same hunger and without DeGarmo".  Wilton is
a bad ass Guitarist, but with Chris, they were a Team!
I bought the album purposely without hearing any samples, I just wanted to take it in for what it was.
I found that the "directions" I wanted each track to go in, were BETTER than what I was hearing.
When a listener (like this idiot) makes-up better compositions in their head than the band!  The
"Overture" wasnt even a real Overture, no "Themes" from Part "1", no capitulation for what was and
what was to come. . . WTF?
Like a Movie that has a Lackluster Sequel or a Sequel with "too many explanations", it ruins the
Enigma, the Mystery . . . maybe if it sounded better, it wouldnt have mattered then.

QR was done. The latest has such GREAT ideas and a worthy cause and theme, but its just flat, with
all its ideas its uninspired Cry.
I have yet to hear the "Demos" from their "Myth" days on the Special Edition of  "Sign of the Times:
The Best of Queensryche
", or "Take Cover".  But I still collect any EP or CD Singles I can find.
(I voice my opinion on American Soldier on page 2).

I dont know if the Band can be saved, but I still have those albums that inspired me and many other
bands, and I will be the 1st to acknowledge their place in Metal and Prog Metal History.
I hope that they can get DeGarmo out of the "Cockpit" and create an EPIC Prog Metal album full
of virtuosity. creativity and get Tate to get his voice in shape again . . . I pray.

See Wiki for their History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensr%C3%BFche

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Sep 2011 at 2:45pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:27pm
Wow!

Official from Roadrunner Records!  QR signs to Roadrunner!
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Queensryche-Signs-to-Roadrunner-Loud--Proud-Records-21983.aspx

I hope this will re-vitalize the band Smile

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Wow!

Official from Roadrunner Records!  QR signs to Roadrunner!
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Queensryche-Signs-to-Roadrunner-Loud--Proud-Records-21983.aspx

I hope this will re-vitalize the band Smile

That's good news for them.  Not really too big a fan of certain aspects of the label, but Roadrunner is the major label to get on if you're a metal band. 

Judging by the first releases of a few "old" bands that Roadrunner signed in recent years, I'd guess their first album for them will focus more on the heavier elements of their sound, but that's just a guess as I haven't been paying close attention to where Queensryche are at these days.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:05pm
Roadrunner can either be a good thing or a bad thing... a lot of promotion on a major label can either mean another masterpiece like Operation Mindcrime, or it can mean a complete and total "sell-out". It's almost always one of those two... Pinch
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 4:02am
Haha . . .
was just thinking, with the way QR has been sounding (imo) what could QR do to possibly
"Sell Out" Wink .  "Empire" was close to that, but actually a great solid album with their biggest
hits Smile.

Roadrunner lost their way for a bit decades ago, but they came back with a vengeance and
still have solid Bands along with the mediocre, just like any other Heavy Metal label.
I'm more worried that QR will just follow a mundane routine.

. . . but always hopeful they will shine again Big smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 06 Sep 2010 at 4:03am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 4:49am
Yeah it�s like they owe us a really fantastic album soon right?
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 6:23am
I actually think that "American Soldier" was okay. It's not "Operation: Mindcrime" or "Empire" or "Promised Land", but I think its good.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 6:36am
It�s a solid release for sure. I kind of enjoyed it too, but as you said it�s not comparable to what is arguably their best albums.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I actually think that "American Soldier" was okay. It's not "Operation: Mindcrime" or "Empire" or "Promised Land", but I think its good.

That basically sums up my opinion. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the album, it's probably their best since Promised Land IMO.

What do you guys think of OM2? There's usually a love it of hate it kind of thing on that album...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:37am
It doesn�t rock my world that�s for sureUnhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic