FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Metallica Still Has It!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ChaosAngel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Metallica Still Has It!
    Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 6:22am
Metallica... hmm...

Yep.  First five until I die.  And yes, that DOES include the black album.

To be honest, I found Death Magnetic a bit sad and overblown.  It just never really got the old cardio-vascular amped like, say, ...And Justice For All (which, if I'm not mistaken, was the sound they were going for).  I was really hoping it would, too, but...

In short, old Metallica still does it, every time.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:02pm
Old Metallica actually came up in my life recently , too.
I am a librarian and found all the books we have about metal and one of them is the top 500 metal songs of all time. Since I am a nerd I decided to listen all of the songs on the list (again, for the most part).
Needless to say there was tons of Metallica on the list and when revisiting it I was reminded of how much they FUCKING RULED.

Master of Puppets was and remains my favorite. I am baffled by those who think it's weak compared to previous albums (which actually came up in another book I found- A Metallica Encyclopedia of all things).

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:52pm
^Headbanger
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:56am
I wrote two of them today! I have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment coursing through me right now! Tongue
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:44am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^Again Vic you should write some reviewsBig smile.

Agreed.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:31am
^Again Vic you should write some reviewsBig smile.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:33am
No, it is not watered down or tamed. there is nothing on Ride the Lightning that is as heavy or unrelenting as Battery or Damage Inc for example. On the other hand, as perfect as Ride the Lightning is (and it actually is, as are all first 4 albums), the musical brilliance in terms of originality, breaking frontiers and melting your face that are the compositions of Master of Puppets and Orion is pretty much godlike. :)

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:55pm
For me, Master of Puppets is eternal. They "tamed" their sound in Black Album IMO. For me, Black Album does not aged very well.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Am I the only one here that thinks Master of Puppets sounds watered down and too tame?

I disagree, but when compared to the band's first two albums I can see why someone may think that.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 10:02am
I agree. I mean, why get upset at other people's music tastes?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:16am
Yes, there are different reasons for liking one album over another, but that doesn't make one album objectively better than another.  It's all just opinion, and it is not invalid to like one thing over another, but what is invalid is to insist that other people ought to share the same opinion that you do.  In the end, all it is is a matter of "I like this, and dislike that - you like this and dislike that" and it really doesn't matter where people differ, just look for people who have commonalities and use that as a springboard for friendship.  Going the other way and searching for differences to argue about leads nowhere but anger and frustration and that is just pointless.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
Well, some people even say that Metallica abandoned thrash metal after "Kill 'Em All". To me, however, all their albums up until the black album are among the finest thrash metal releases ever, each with its own attractions and highlights.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:59am
I mean, come on.

This

compared to this

The cleaner production made it sound quieter and not as hard and heavy as Ride the Lightning and a lot of the riffs aren't really as interesting.  Even the soloing is weaker.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:11am

Am I the only one here that thinks Master of Puppets sounds watered down and too tame?
After you saying that Meshuggah isn't extreme metal, I thought nothing would surprise me. I was wrong Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:03am

Probably.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 6:28am
Me neither. But that's how I feel about Load and ReLoad.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:50am

...well I can�t say that�s how I feel about it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

^Death Magnetic is actually pretty awesome IMO, and Beyond Magnetic is getting better every time I listen!

But yes, old Metallica still rock hard!

I wasn�t being to serious. I like Death Magnetic tooSmile.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 9:09pm
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 11:44am
^Death Magnetic is actually pretty awesome IMO, and Beyond Magnetic is getting better every time I listen!

But yes, old Metallica still rock hard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic