MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is PoS so unpopular? (Read first post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is PoS so unpopular? (Read first post)
    Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 10:12pm
Ok, so prog metal isn't exactly the most well-known of genres, but that's not what I'm talking about. Aside from online I have yet to hear much about this band. I've only ever introduced people to Pain of Salvation in real life, I've never met someone who has known about them. I've only ever seen a Pain of Salvation record in a music store once, and it was just one copy of Scarsick.

Yet if you looked at all the discussions here and at PA, you'd think they were pretty much only slightly behind Dream Theater and Opeth in terms of popularity.

That being said, this might be an America thing. PoS is notorious for not touring in America, and their album shipments may have been significantly smaller as well in America. Maybe in Europe they're just as important as Dream Theater, but it doesn't seem that anybody knows about them here, especially compared to other supposedly less popular bands.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:02pm
Yeah the only albums I've seen in my record store are Scarsick and Road Salt One.

I really have no clue. I've known some people who knew em (outside PA) though yeah, I introduced many more to em.
I don't think they are quite as unpopular as you think but yeah, certainly not near the top. Funny since on PA they are like Jesus. Maybe it is an American thing. They were boycotting touring the US and I'm not surprised that they ship much less to here. Those would make the band much less known here in the states.

I love the band but Daniel IS a huge a**hole LOL
Boycotting the US because Bush was President? Even though at most 51% voted for him? Not to mention all the teens of the time (like myself) who couldn't even vote? Then Obama is President and its cool now.

It really is pretty stupid (to be polite!)

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 30 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Maybe in Europe they're just as important as Dream Theater, but it doesn't seem that anybody knows about them here, especially compared to other supposedly less popular bands.

Dream Theater have played their last headlining gigs in Finland in a venue holding about 8000 people, Pain of Salvation played their first ever gig here a couple of years ago in a club of 900. But if "respect" could somehow be measured, I'd say they're much closer to each other.
<- Click on this!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:28pm
Hm, guess PoS just isn't as known.
Although I see what Pekka is saying about respect. Those that DO know em tend to say they are one of the tops.
Best bands are always less popular eh?

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Hm, guess PoS just isn't as known.
Although I see what Pekka is saying about respect. Those that DO know em tend to say they are one of the tops.
Best bands are always less popular eh?

I have a feeling that all 900 that went to see PoS were true hardcore fans, whereas at a DT gig there's the 2000 hardcore fans and the rest think they're quite ok.

Just for the record, I didn't go to the PoS gig Tongue A friend of mine did and praised the hell out of it, even though it was Scarsick tour. Maybe I should try listening to one of their albums this year again, perhaps I'd find something good this time.
<- Click on this!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:40pm
Well that pretty much seems to answer that one!

And I bought "Remedy Lane" way back and hated it!
Tried a bit later, and I liked it much more. Then tried Entropia and loved the hell out of that one.
Now I'm a pretty good PoS fan (yes, we all know what an unfortunate abbreviation they areLOL)

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:09am
^Especially since there's a rap artist by the same name. LOL

And he, unlike Gildenlow, can rap well. Tongue
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:46am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

^Especially since there's a rap artist by the same name. LOL

And he, unlike Gildenlow, can rap well. Tongue

ZING!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:01am
I think their initials are too blame
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:56am
Maybe they realised this and reached out to the wider masses with RS1.

They even hoped to represent Sweden at the Eurovision song contest.

Now in England being part of Eurovision is about as low as you can go musically Dead

Personally, I preferred them pre RS1/Eurovision. If RS2 is the same I may just cut my wrists Cry

I yearn for another early noughtie album

Edited by Colt - 31 Jan 2011 at 6:56am
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:01am
I don't believe that Pain of salvation are so unpopular.Here in Greece are favorable.But ok,it's prog metal.Don't expect to be very famous.
Inexistence is the true normality.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:40am
I bought Remedy Lane and 12:5 from a local record store a few years back, and just bought Road Salt One a couple of weeks ago from FYE, if you can believe that.  I think that I ordered the rest from Amazon though.  Aside from Scarsick, which I thought was mostly atrocious, I like the majority of their output, and there are even a couple of decent songs on Scarsick.  I thought that Road Salt One was alright, although it seems to be lacking in metal.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

I don't believe that Pain of salvation are so unpopular.Here in Greece are favorable.But ok,it's prog metal.Don't expect to be very famous.

Have you talked to people in person and discussed Pain of Salvation? My main quip is that I've never met anyone in life who knew about them before I introduced the band.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:48am
Ι haven't met many fans.But in their live performance here,many people had come .
Inexistence is the true normality.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:04pm
I used to own Entropia and The Perfect Element, Part 1 and they both grew cold after a while. Gildenlow is taltented, no question...I just got tired of the albums.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:17pm
They're unquestionably my favorite band ever... The reason why they get so little recognition in the "real world" is because, aside from the die-hard prog community that you see in forums, they don't have as many casual fans as DT (or even Opeth). I know plenty of kids at my school who are familiar with a few Dream Theater songs from Rock Band or something like that - not the case with PoS.

I don't really like the whole Eurovision thing at all.. I sure as hell hope they aren't selling out.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Maybe they realised this and reached out to the wider masses with RS1.

They even hoped to represent Sweden at the Eurovision song contest.

Now in England being part of Eurovision is about as low as you can go musically Dead

Personally, I preferred them pre RS1/Eurovision. If RS2 is the same I may just cut my wrists Cry

I yearn for another early noughtie album

the norwegian symphonic metal band Susperia was in the Eurovision song conteset this year, and a BLACK METAL BAND Shocked  KEEP OF KALESSIN was in the norwegian eurovision final and became fourth in the voting last year.  
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:55pm
They better tour in America soon, they said they would a little while ago for a RS1 tour but they never did!Angry

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

They better tour in America soon, they said they would a little while ago for a RS1 tour but they never did!Angry

Patience, Brian. Approve They only have one festival announced from now until late June... I have a feeling we'll be hearing about a U.S. tour shortly.

http://painofsalvation.com/
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:25pm
In pretty much any mainstream music chain I've been to lately, the only POS album they will have in stock is their latest album.  One time I saw a DVD of theirs in the store as well, and it was really expensive.

I always hear their name mentioned in internet discussion, but I don't really know anybody who listens to prog metal, so I don't really know any POS fans besides you lot and obviously people at Prog Archives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic