24 [27.27%]
16 [18.18%]
48 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 3:31am
Well since you say you care, Jeff.

I was raised Catholic.
Dad is Catholic, Mom is Russian Orthodox.
Pretty sure they chose to raise my brother and I as Catholic to help please his Italian parents LOL
Anywho, so yeah I was raised Catholic. Went to church every Sunday, went to CCD, did it all.
However, never really thought about it. Just did it, after all I was a kid. Family was never VERY religious anyway. We never talked about it outside Sunday, or even on Sunday. Never forced it on us, we all just kind of did it.

In 8th grade (around age 13 here) I started to not really want to do it. I stopped going to CCD and said I didn't really want to continue (and I never got my confirmation done therefore). Around the same time my mother had some issues, some being:
-She was very ill a year or 2 before and we didn't go to church. We got a letter asking for their money...
-In a conversation with my younger brother it came out he didn't know the story of Noah, which really made her ask what the hell are we doing in CCD then!?
-This came after...but my mother did feel bad about being active (even though she has raised serious questions about church (organized religion)). Not sure why...regardless she talked to someone who said "OK, just send the check every month and we'll list your family as "active"". Wasn't real flattering.

That's the background. My mother believes in some type of God, I have no idea about my father, he's secular anyway, my brother is a pretty militant atheist and I believe in Deism.

Long story short: God. I don't like saying that word due to its connotations but its easier. I like "grand architect of the universe" LOL This is not the white bearded dude in the sky. I also HATE saying "he" I believe this force is more along those lines, but again bear with me for simplicity.
Anyway, god set things in motion. He may have started things, but from that moment, everything is on its own.

Thus god doe not intervene in our lives.
One staple of Deism is self determination. We have the abilities to figure out our own problems. We have the power to control our lives. Some Deists still believe in prayer as meditation, I do not.

I do not like "organized religion" of any kind, any "holy books", miracles.
I like to think of nature as my god. Looking at, and being one with, nature gives me a feeling I cant explain. It is an amazing harmony of perfection. It may be the only thing that touches me in any way like that.

OK that was long and probably rambling. I'd be free to elaborate/answer anything Jeff.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Well since you say you care, Jeff.

I was raised Catholic.
Dad is Catholic, Mom is Russian Orthodox.
Pretty sure they chose to raise my brother and I as Catholic to help please his Italian parents LOL
Anywho, so yeah I was raised Catholic. Went to church every Sunday, went to CCD, did it all.
However, never really thought about it. Just did it, after all I was a kid. Family was never VERY religious anyway. We never talked about it outside Sunday, or even on Sunday. Never forced it on us, we all just kind of did it.

In 8th grade (around age 13 here) I started to not really want to do it. I stopped going to CCD and said I didn't really want to continue (and I never got my confirmation done therefore). Around the same time my mother had some issues, some being:
-She was very ill a year or 2 before and we didn't go to church. We got a letter asking for their money...
-In a conversation with my younger brother it came out he didn't know the story of Noah, which really made her ask what the hell are we doing in CCD then!?
-This came after...but my mother did feel bad about being active (even though she has raised serious questions about church (organized religion)). Not sure why...regardless she talked to someone who said "OK, just send the check every month and we'll list your family as "active"". Wasn't real flattering.

That's the background. My mother believes in some type of God, I have no idea about my father, he's secular anyway, my brother is a pretty militant atheist and I believe in Deism.

Long story short: God. I don't like saying that word due to its connotations but its easier. I like "grand architect of the universe" LOL This is not the white bearded dude in the sky. I also HATE saying "he" I believe this force is more along those lines, but again bear with me for simplicity.
Anyway, god set things in motion. He may have started things, but from that moment, everything is on its own.

Thus god doe not intervene in our lives.
One staple of Deism is self determination. We have the abilities to figure out our own problems. We have the power to control our lives. Some Deists still believe in prayer as meditation, I do not.

I do not like "organized religion" of any kind, any "holy books", miracles.
I like to think of nature as my god. Looking at, and being one with, nature gives me a feeling I cant explain. It is an amazing harmony of perfection. It may be the only thing that touches me in any way like that.

OK that was long and probably rambling. I'd be free to elaborate/answer anything Jeff.

Thanks for elaborating, Brian. Smile That was an interesting read... I don't encounter deists too often, so it's cool to discuss religion with someone from that camp.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm an atheist, but I also consider myself an antitheist. It seems like we both find common ground in our opposition to organized religion and holy books. My only question for you (and most deists, actually) is what is your basis for believing that nature is "god" (or the grand architect of the universe)?

For example, if God is simply nature, then why not use the word nature to describe this? Using the word god carries a bit of extra "baggage" that the literal word doesn't carry. It's a similar thing to the "God is love" claim - why not use the word "love" to describe this emotion? I love nature... there's nothing quite like a walk in the woods with a Burzum or Agalloch album on. Approve I just don't see the connection between nature and a God.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:39pm

I'm a Deist

Hangin' with Ben Franklin and Tom Jefferson in your beliefs? LOL
If I were forced into any coherent "belief system" Deism would certainly be my choice. It's the most "logical" of any belief, even though IMO it's not logical.

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

I'm a Deist

Hangin' with Ben Franklin and Tom Jefferson in your beliefs? LOL
If I were forced into any coherent "belief system" Deism would certainly be my choice. It's the most "logical" of any belief, even though IMO it's not logical.

ha, it is from a US history class my freshman year of college I first heard of it. Sounded intriguing and looked into, I already believed almost all of what it stood for (from what I could gather since it seems a bit flexible).
I was like ShockedWHAT!? I believe most of this, so it works for me.
I am always thinking and drifting so who knows where I'll end up, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

When I found out a lot of the forefathers and philosophers back then were Deist that was just a bonus! Big smile

Edit: I'm also a bit influenced by Buddhism. I am a pretty big believer in moderation (in all aspects) living a "simple" life, the general tenets.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 16 Mar 2011 at 12:59am

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 12:58am
Oh Jeff I'm glad you mentioned a walk in the woods with Agalloch. I have that as one of my hobbies on FB (and mentioned it on PA like 100 times). The Mantle at night, while its raining, just sitting in the woods.
I cannot put it into words.

As for what you said: Yes, from lots of talk with people from both sides there is no doubt I am much much closer to the atheist/non theist camp. As I said, and you as well, I don't believe in any holy book, organized religion, miracles (as its generally taught) prayer, and even my "higher power" is not the typical god of Abrahamic Religions.

I also don't think Jesus was divine or anything (since god does not interfere with our lives). No way to prove, but just from as much thought I could use... I believe Jesus was just a man, who probably was preaching peace, love, the typical generic beliefs of any religion, and it got corrupted over time into what Christianity is. But while some people have said there was NO Jesus at all...I disagree, and he was an enlightened man, but that's about it.

Whew, ok as for nature. I don't believe nature is god. (Notice I never capitalize god, or "him" when I use that, god is just the easiest word..) I'll admit that was probably a confusing thing to say. I'm not opposed to the idea of just using nature as the way to call it. But we got into a sticky wicket of words and "hippie" BS LOL

As I've said, god is just easier...especially when attempting to explain "Well, I think god is just kind of an inexplainable force, maybe. Like we are all one, everything is connected, and I mean everything). Sorry again, I'm not 100% sure myself and really...it makes sense in my head but its damn tough to put into words.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 8:21am
I am a Christian

God is real in my life

He changed my life

I am grateful that He gave me a chance to live for Him

He died for me

I live for Him
GLAM METAL!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:28pm

Oh Jeff I'm glad you mentioned a walk in the woods with Agalloch. I have that as one of my hobbies on FB (and mentioned it on PA like 100 times). The Mantle at night, while its raining, just sitting in the woods.
I cannot put it into words.

As for what you said: Yes, from lots of talk with people from both sides there is no doubt I am much much closer to the atheist/non theist camp. As I said, and you as well, I don't believe in any holy book, organized religion, miracles (as its generally taught) prayer, and even my "higher power" is not the typical god of Abrahamic Religions.

I also don't think Jesus was divine or anything (since god does not interfere with our lives). No way to prove, but just from as much thought I could use... I believe Jesus was just a man, who probably was preaching peace, love, the typical generic beliefs of any religion, and it got corrupted over time into what Christianity is. But while some people have said there was NO Jesus at all...I disagree, and he was an enlightened man, but that's about it.

I'm don't really argue much about "whether or not Jesus existed" topic with people... I think it's somewhat irrelevant. Since miracles are (by definition) impossible, Jesus was (at most) a carpenter who led a good life and sent a good message to people. I don't think there's any actual evidence for his existence, but it's pretty irrelevant anyway. Once you strip away the miracle claims, you simply have a man who preached the word of God.

Quote Whew, ok as for nature. I don't believe nature is god. (Notice I never capitalize god, or "him" when I use that, god is just the easiest word..) I'll admit that was probably a confusing thing to say. I'm not opposed to the idea of just using nature as the way to call it. But we got into a sticky wicket of words and "hippie" BS LOL

As I've said, god is just easier...especially when attempting to explain "Well, I think god is just kind of an inexplainable force, maybe. Like we are all one, everything is connected, and I mean everything). Sorry again, I'm not 100% sure myself and really...it makes sense in my head but its damn tough to put into words.

I understand where you're going with this... I can definitely see how it may be difficult to explain. Smile

I'm with Andy on deism. I don't think it's particularly logical (again, because of the entire "evidence" factor), but I do think it is the most logical and least corrupt religious belief.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

He died for me

I'm not trying to "provoke" in any way... but Jesus didn't die. Wink
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:54pm
I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

God is real in my life

I forgot to mention this as well - God cannot "be real" in one person's life, but non-existent in someone else's.

He either exists or he doesn't. It's a difference in belief that distinguishes theists from atheists - God cannot exist for some people and not for others. That is a logical fallacy.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm don't really argue much about "whether or not Jesus existed" topic with people... I think it's somewhat irrelevant. Since miracles are (by definition) impossible, Jesus was (at most) a carpenter who led a good life and sent a good message to people. I don't think there's any actual evidence for his existence, but it's pretty irrelevant anyway. Once you strip away the miracle claims, you simply have a man who preached the word of God.

I go with the Unitarian belief on Jesus - I'm sure he existed, but he was just a greatly moralistic guy, not the "Son of God." He had some interesting points, some of them I disagree with (and so does the rest of society), but a lot of his teachings are good moral boundaries. 
When people say "Christian morality," it really pisses me off (sadly that is the exact subject of my religion class this year). There is no such thing as Christian Morality. There is morality, but Christianity has nothing to do with it but to slap another Christian tag on something to call it "good."
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 6:43am

When people say "Christian morality," it really pisses me off (sadly that is the exact subject of my religion class this year). There is no such thing as Christian Morality. There is morality, but Christianity has nothing to do with it but to slap another Christian tag on something to call it "good."

That's exactly what I've been discussing with my friends for 2 weeks now. In my country people tend to equate, as you've said, morality with "Christian morality". I try to fight this belief. Human being has innate ability to distinguish the difference between good and evil, that's a proven fact. Moreover, people in western societies usually consider Christian morality as the only right ethical code while Buddhism, or related with it Shinto, have much better influence on development of society and human relations. Treating good deeds as some kind of money you have to pay to enter heaven, damn it's distasteful. Calvin has proven, with interpretation of predestination consisted in his theological system, that people don't need such a primitive incentive to be good. So did existentialists with Soren Kierkegaard and Albert Camus at top of the movement.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 6:56am

I go with the Unitarian belief on Jesus - I'm sure he existed, but he was just a greatly moralistic guy, not the "Son of God." He had some interesting points, some of them I disagree with (and so does the rest of society), but a lot of his teachings are good moral boundaries. 

I would disagree heavily with your second point. The difference between Christian morality and purely secular morality is huge. One of them is based on reason and logic and another is an appeal to an authority. Christianity is based off of a set book of rules from God - according to him you may do this and may not do something else. That's not deciding your own moral decisions - that's doing something because that's what somebody else tells you to do.

The motives behind my moral decisions and a Christian's moral decisions are often different - When I do something, I determine if it's moral or not by analyzing the consequences and benefits of my actions. Some Christians may use this same mindset, but a few things like "God said so", "I don't want to go to hell", and "I want to go to heaven" make our moral decisions have entirely different motives.

And, yes, I do hate how Christianity is associated in Western society with "being good". Pinch
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 7:55pm

I'm with Andy on deism. I don't think it's particularly logical (again, because of the entire "evidence" factor), but I do think it is the most logical and least corrupt religious belief.

Well, Deism being what it is...can be a bit loose but from what I've read, heard from other Deists, and this is also what I believe...Deism is not a religion.

I mean if someone wants to call it one, fine whatever its all semantics I guess, but calling Deism a religion irks me pretty badly LOL

Again, it's not very clear cut and precise (like the one millions divisions in Christianity) but IMO Deism is more a belief system. Religion for me implies the centralized aspect of it. Which, as you said Jeff, can be pretty corrupting.
While Deism was built on, and tries to espouse, free thinking, logical thought, and rationality.
One of the most hard core Christians I've known once told me "Christianity is really just a relationship with god"

So I never got church and how, well organized it is. If you want a relationship with god all that seems to get in the way of it!

Edit: Oh and yeah Jesus really isn't a major thing. I was just saying that as another example of how far removed from Christianity I am LOL
Proof? Hell we can't prove anything! But using as much logical thought as I can, there was probably a man who was preaching the word of god, and being good to each other. IMO. It was the religion that was spawned around him that corrupted what he probably said and caused all the problems it causes. He was just a man.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 19 Mar 2011 at 8:00pm

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:05pm

I would disagree heavily with your second point. The difference between Christian morality and purely secular morality is huge. One of them is based on reason and logic and another is an appeal to an authority. Christianity is based off of a set book of rules from God - according to him you may do this and may not do something else. That's not deciding your own moral decisions - that's doing something because that's what somebody else tells you to do.

The motives behind my moral decisions and a Christian's moral decisions are often different - When I do something, I determine if it's moral or not by analyzing the consequences and benefits of my actions. Some Christians may use this same mindset, but a few things like "God said so", "I don't want to go to hell", and "I want to go to heaven" make our moral decisions have entirely different motives.

And, yes, I do hate how Christianity is associated in Western society with "being good". Pinch

I was referring more to the Western socially acceptable morality - be good to your neighbor kind of stuff. Everyone can have their own morality; it's dependent on how your raised, your experiences, and whatnot. And I agree on the secular/theological morality piece - deference to god's "law" just pisses me off. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:11pm

Well, Deism being what it is...can be a bit loose but from what I've read, heard from other Deists, and this is also what I believe...Deism is not a religion.

I mean if someone wants to call it one, fine whatever its all semantics I guess, but calling Deism a religion irks me pretty badly LOL

Again, it's not very clear cut and precise (like the one millions divisions in Christianity) but IMO Deism is more a belief system. Religion for me implies the centralized aspect of it. Which, as you said Jeff, can be pretty corrupting.
While Deism was built on, and tries to espouse, free thinking, logical thought, and rationality.
One of the most hard core Christians I've known once told me "Christianity is really just a relationship with god"

So I never got church and how, well organized it is. If you want a relationship with god all that seems to get in the way of it!

I guess it all depends on how you define "religion". Smile I tend to consider religion to simply be a belief in a god - under that definition, deism could be classified as a religion.

If you define "religion" as the organized manner of worshiping this god, then deism (in most cases) is very clearly not a religion. Most deists (like yourself) tend to reject "organized" religion as a whole, so I can understand not wanting deism to have the tag of "religion". Deism is unlike any other theistic claim... it doesn't require worship, it has a moral system based on logic and reason, a good portion of deists (as far as I know) do not believe in an afterlife... in that sense, deism is so different from other religions that it may not even be one.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:14pm
Yes, society needs to be secular.

As I probably have said, I don't care at all whatever you believe, and you are free to believe what you want.
But general society needs to be secular, and that especially means the law of man, not god.

Live your life by whatever moral compass you choose but I agree deferring to the law of god pisses me off.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:16pm

I was referring more to the Western socially acceptable morality - be good to your neighbor kind of stuff. Everyone can have their own morality; it's dependent on how your raised, your experiences, and whatnot. And I agree on the secular/theological morality piece - deference to god's "law" just pisses me off. 

Meh, I try to follow the whole "be good to your neighbor" thing... Unless your neighbor's a total [%&*@]! AngryTongue

EDIT: I can't believe that was censored! LOL

Edited by J-Man - 19 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:20pm
It is true

"Treat other as you wish to be treated"
"Be good to your fellow man"

All that good stuff is pretty much the core of every religion/belief. Not that you even need a religion to be taught that stuff! So yeah...belonging to a specific organized church seems silly LOL

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:29pm

Yes, society needs to be secular.

As I probably have said, I don't care at all whatever you believe, and you are free to believe what you want.
But general society needs to be secular, and that especially means the law of man, not god.

Live your life by whatever moral compass you choose but I agree deferring to the law of god pisses me off.

Yep, I agree on all points. Approve

I love having debates with people about religion, but I never think that the opposition is unentitled to their beliefs. I may disagree all day with some people about their theistic beliefs, but (thankfully) most of us can agree upon the subject of church/state separation. Achieving a purely secular society is impossible in this day and age... religious motives will screw with politics and the school system (especially in America) until religions are gone. America's pretty damn close to pure secularism, though, and that satisfies me. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic