The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 94>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I got a few NES games yesterday (cartrides only).

Super Mario Bros 2

I really love this game. It's underrated compared to the other Super Mario Bros games because it has different core gameplay mechanics, but I actually like it more than the other ones that I've played.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:32pm
I got a few NES games yesterday (cartrides only).

Super Mario Bros 2

Dr. Mario

Rygar

I also grabbed Taito Legends for xBox, which features a ton of old arcade games.

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 4:15pm
So I heard Square Enix is remastering Final Fantasy X.  Well, I still have it for the Ps2 and never finished it, so I'll likely not get it.  On the other hand, if they did a remaster of XII...
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
this video is great, and this chick is super cute.Smile

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:49am
Keen for May to arrive so I can finally play Diablo III.
It's been a while coming.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm
i thought i would repost this here 
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

i wnat to arrange a metal cover of this. 
OH MOTHER OF GOD
and some additions that are even more epic 
AND THE METAL VERSION OF IT, OMG ITS SO EPIC 
some metriod 
AND THE METAL VERSION

now some misc vidya metal 
classic powerglove

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
I'm playing this one now:

I rented this game a while ago, and didn't get past the first level because I couldn't get used to the controls. And I was a stupid fucking person. This game rules, and I'm so glad I decided to give it another shot! I've only played it for 2 hours and I am BLOWN AWAY! Clap

I also started this one for the first time on the NES:

...and finally, I'm giving Doom II another go-through on Xbox 360.

Hell yeah for retro gaming! LOL
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Free Mass Effect 3 multiplayer DLC coming on the 10th.

Playing as a geth?  Hell yes.

Batarian Sentinel unlocked so far.  His net move kicks ass, but he can't dodge.  Plus his heavy melee is a falcon punch, which, while powerful and sends enemies flying, is fucking slow.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:34pm
Free Mass Effect 3 multiplayer DLC coming on the 10th.

Playing as a geth?  Hell yes.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:47pm
I started re-playing this game earlier tonight:

Wolfenstein (2009)

I beat it about 2 years ago and thought it was really fantastic - I still do, actually. A very underrated FPS game in my opinion.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:20pm
Giving ME3 a rest for now.  Perfect time to finish up God of War HD.

Also, fuck the Indoctrination Theory.  There's so many holes in it that it looks like it just came in from a firing range.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:06pm
Beat Super Mario World. Had a change of heart too, it seems: http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-world/user-reviews/791261/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Could be because I grew up with that game and the SNES in general.  I didn't get on the N64 bandwagon as quickly as my other friends did (something about my parents not wanting me to spend too much time in front of the TV-and yet I already had the SNES, go figure), so that was all I had.  Games that are pretty awful, like the original Mario Kart, were like godsends to me...if they worked.  One thing I will never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.  Good times, but...LOL

I actually like the original Mario Kart quite a bit. Tongue I wish they never got rid of the coin system - I think it adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game. The issue with Mario World is just that I fucking suck at 2D platformers. LOL

I like cartridges more than discs in terms of looks and collecting purposes, but I can't say that getting them to work is a favorite of mine either. Geek

The thing I don't like about the first game is that I don't think a lot of thought was put into making the computer characters.  It's stupid how they each have their own item and only use it when they're around you, and I hate how there's a predetermined handicap for them depending on which character you choose to play as.  Like, I always pick Yoshi, and I'm tired of seeing Koopa on my ass every single time. Angry

I notice that too... I almost always play as Yoshi, and Mario sucks so much that he comes in last almost every time ! LOL The AI isn't particularly great, but the game is better than the N64 and GC versions in terms of difficulty - those are too easy IMO. The maps on the SNES version are way too repetitive, though...
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:37pm

One thing I wil never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.� Good times, but...LOL

I actually really miss that about games. I remember learning specific ways to put each game into the console so it would work every time, almost like routines that were specific to each game. I miss that.

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm

Could be because I grew up with that game and the SNES in general.  I didn't get on the N64 bandwagon as quickly as my other friends did (something about my parents not wanting me to spend too much time in front of the TV-and yet I already had the SNES, go figure), so that was all I had.  Games that are pretty awful, like the original Mario Kart, were like godsends to me...if they worked.  One thing I will never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.  Good times, but...LOL

I actually like the original Mario Kart quite a bit. Tongue I wish they never got rid of the coin system - I think it adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game. The issue with Mario World is just that I fucking suck at 2D platformers. LOL

I like cartridges more than discs in terms of looks and collecting purposes, but I can't say that getting them to work is a favorite of mine either. Geek

The thing I don't like about the first game is that I don't think a lot of thought was put into making the computer characters.  It's stupid how they each have their own item and only use it when they're around you, and I hate how there's a predetermined handicap for them depending on which character you choose to play as.  Like, I always pick Yoshi, and I'm tired of seeing Koopa on my ass every single time. Angry

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:33am

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:34pm

Right now I've started to play this classic through an emulator:

Believe it or not, I've never actually played any of the Mario games from beginning to end. I'll start here and try a few others as well.

I was coming to this thread to post exactly the same game, actually.  One day into spring break and emulators are already saving my ass from extreme boredom!

But yeah, this game rules.  I've beaten it a gazillion times since I was a kid but it never seems to get old.  The only thing is remembering how to use the cape correctly...

You'll probably hate me then. LOL

I beat Super Mario Bros. for the NES and thought it was okay. I'm almost done with this one, and I think the same thing. Unhappy I'm totally in a minority, but platforming games in general just piss me off. If it weren't for the save slots on emulators, it would drive me nuts. LOL

I guess it's probably because I suck at platformers, but I tend to get very minimal enjoyment from them. Of course, that's not to downplay the historical importance of the Mario series either. I'm just much more into RPG's and first-person shooters it seems.

I actually reviewed Super Mario Bros. yesterday at Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-bros/user-reviews/791071/
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:03pm

Right now I've started to play this classic through an emulator:

Believe it or not, I've never actually played any of the Mario games from beginning to end. I'll start here and try a few others as well.

I was coming to this thread to post exactly the same game, actually.  One day into spring break and emulators are already saving my ass from extreme boredom!

But yeah, this game rules.  I've beaten it a gazillion times since I was a kid but it never seems to get old.  The only thing is remembering how to use the cape correctly...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 94>
  Share Topic