WITCH MOUNTAIN — Witch Mountain (review)

WITCH MOUNTAIN — Witch Mountain album cover EP · 2012 · Doom Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Witch Mountain" is a self-titled EP release by US, Portland, Oregon based doom metal act Witch Mountain. The EP was released as a free download through Scion A/V in October 2012. The band go as far back as 1997 and have released both albums an minor releases since then although they had a recording break between 2002 and 2005.

"Witch Mountain" is a 2 track, 11:31 minutes long EP. The music is traditional doom metal with female vocals. Uta Plotkin has a voice and a commanding vocal delivery that reminds me of Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane, so listening to the music on the EP is like listening to Black Sabbath with Grace slick on vocals and it totally rules...it´s organic and filled to the brim with lead heavy riffing and ditto rythms and it reeks badass attitude. Both "Bloodhound" and "A Power Greater" are high standard doom metal tracks, but the latter mentioned is of especially high quality to my ears.

All in all this is a very enjoyable and high quality doom metal release and the fact that it is offered as a free download should make it even more attractive. A 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating is deserved. Highly recommendable to fans of the genre even though you won´t find much in terms of innovation here, but that´s not really the point is it?

Spirituality and Distortion Avant-garde Metal