FINGER ELEVEN — Tip (review)

FINGER ELEVEN — Tip album cover Album · 1997 · Alternative Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Unitron
Finger Eleven-Tip

'Tip' is the first studio album by alternative metal band Finger Eleven. Some may consider 'Tip' to be Finger Eleven's second studio album, seeing as they released the album 'Letters From Chutney' under the name of Rainbow Butt Monkeys. Although it is the same band, they did change their sound from a funk metal style to a more unique alternative metal style.

Many of the songs on this album sound different from the sound of Finger Eleven on later albums. It has an overall much more melancholy sound, and sounds very different from other albums from the time I've heard. The album is able to combine the grunge of 'Letters From Chutney', and a much darker melancholy sound into a very well constructed mix. If I could compare it to any album from around the same time, it would be Tool's 'Undertow'.

The album begins with one of my favorite songs on the album 'Quicksand', which combines a melancholy sound with a heavy chorus. It also combines some grunge elements, making this a pretty unique song. The title track is another one of my favorites, where Scott Anderson gives a very strong vocal performance and the guitar really shines. 'Shudder' may be my favorite on the album where in parts it reminds me a lot of Porcupine Tree, especially the bridge. The bassline sounds great combined with the melancholy feel. The album ends with a surprisingly beautiful melancholy track 'Swallowtail', which again reminds me a lot of the style that Porcupine Tree would develop later. The drum beat combined with slow build-up of the guitar works really well.

Overall, 'Tip' is a very underrated album. It set the standard for a lot of alternative metal to come, and is quite a big accomplishment for a band switching from a funk metal sound to such a unique style. I highly recommend this album for any metal collection.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Feel free to comment!

aglasshouse wrote:
I'm really glad and thankful that you made this review, and I agree that it's really underrated.

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal