H-BLOCKX Time to Move

Album · 1994 · Alternative Metal
Remember the 90's? The fashion? The music? Everything seemed so bright and colourful and life was so fun and vibrant. There was none of this post-9/11 gloom and doom, and whilst most metal and rock bands had been driven underground by Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, there were still a few young upstarts making their ways into the mainstream and finding their niches.

One of these bands was rap-rockers H-Blockx, who burst out of Germany with their 1994 debut 'Time To Move', an album that boosted three hit singles and five promo videos. Whilst bands like Stuck Mojo and Rage Against the Machine were carving out their legacy's with their more political-driven rap metal, H-Blockx fitted in perfectly with the 90's rock scene, their music and image oozing energy, enthusiasm and fun!

In other words, this album reeks of the 90's! And that, young grasshoppers, is not a bad thing.

Henning Wehland and Dave Gappa make a perfect duo, sharing both singing and rapping duties effectively, whilst guitarist Tim Tenambergen gets more out of a few simple riffs than what many modern shredders do with a million different notes. Above all else though, this band is just fun! There's a youthful innocence to their music that takes me right back to the first half of the 90's. 'Move', 'Little Girl', 'Risin' High', 'Go Freaky' and 'The Real Love' are all perfect reasons to give this record a chance.

Sadly however, this is an album that people generally tend to "remember", but not really care much about. Which is a shame, 'cause this is a very underrated album by a very underrated band.