METALLICA — The Memory Remains (review)

METALLICA — The Memory Remains album cover Single · 1997 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
One of the better singles from Metallica’s often underrated and wrongly dismissed 1997 release, ‘Reload’, ‘The Memory Remains’ is pure hard rock at its finest. With plenty of hooks, catchy sing-along lyrics, and “that vocal melody” (one of the few Metallica songs with a guest vocalist, British singer Marianne Faithfull), it holds up well as one of the better songs from the album.

Included with the title track are two demos. The first, ‘Fuel for Fire’, is a demo in progress of arguably the records most popular and well-known track, ‘Fuel’. Admittedly, the lyrics are pretty laughable, but then, it’s easy to say that when comparing it to the finished version we all know and love.

Then there’s a demo of ‘The Memory Remains’, which is pretty terrible. Overly long, with very few distinguishable lyrics, most of it is just James Hetfield singing ‘la la la’ and ‘na na na’ over and over. Still, it’s a rare look at what the band originally had intended, and if nothing else, this is what singles are made for.

Decent enough single for collectors only.

martindavey87 wrote:
2 months ago
Yeah definitely! I've seen loads of praise for that version, and I've heard it on YouTube and definitely agree that it's a significant song to own. I don't go out of my way to buy singles though. If I see them in second hand shops, or car boots or whatever then I'll snap it up, but it really comes down to if I ever stumble across it.
Pekka wrote:
2 months ago
I've got the pressing with the track listing in the entry, and it's worth having for the full version of The Outlaw Torn. It's not necessarily better than the one cut for Load, but for historical importance I like to have it, since it's perhaps my favourite Metallica song of them all.

Ambience Metalcore
Up From The Ashes Heavy Metal
SOULHEALER
Bigod Doom Metal
ZATOKREV

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL