MINISTRY — The Land of Rape and Honey (review)

MINISTRY — The Land of Rape and Honey album cover Album · 1988 · Industrial Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Unitron
Ministry-The Land of Rape and Honey

'The Land of Rape and Honey' is the third studio album by industrial metal band Ministry. Now at their third studio album, Ministry finally turns into how they're known today, a raw and brutal industrial metal band. There are still some elements from the previous album 'Twitch', on here but it's morphed into something grittier, darker, and distorted.

The album opens with one of Ministry's most well-known songs 'Stigmata', which shows the mechanical drumming of 'Twitch' combined with industrial heavy metal riffing and Jourgensen's aggressive vocals. The drum programming on this track is awesome, sometimes imitating double-bass. The next track 'The Missing' is probably my favorite on the album, with thrashing guitar and some great bass by Paul Barker. Speaking of bass, the song 'Deity' is another track with great bass grooves. Another one of my favorites is the short yet awesome 'I Prefer'. Jourgensen's vocals combine perfectly with the foot-tapping groove of the bass and electronics.

Some of the songs on the album have interesting use of sampling. One example is 'Hizbollah', which samples the song 'Kad Ataka' by Arabic singer Fairuz. The way the sampling is placed in with the menacing electronic soundscape makes quite the interesting listen. The Arabic musical style fits in with the way the song is put together. 'Golden Dawn' has more good use of sampling, sampling quotes from the 1971 movie 'The Devils'. The samples used in the songs on this album are placed very well, and match the atmospheres of the songs.

The album has a pretty good balance of the really metallic tracks, and the more straightforward industrial songs. Most of the songs do have a similar feel, but the guitar isn't always upfront. Overall, This is a great beginning for a new Ministry. This album would only lead to what is, in my opinion, their best album.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Feel free to comment!