ARCHITECTS — The Here and Now (review)

ARCHITECTS — The Here and Now album cover Album · 2011 · Metalcore Buy this album from MMA partners
Kingcrimsonprog
The Here and Now is the fourth studio album from British metal band Architects. Stylistically the album marks somewhat of a departure for the band and features much less of the mathematical style that they made their name with, in favour of a cleaner, altogether more post-hardcore influence.

At first I wasn’t completely sold on the idea of a very heavy, very technical band changing their sound to be cleaner, simpler and more radio friendly. The strength of the music shines through however and no matter what type of music the band deliver, it is simply excellent quality music. Better still it grows and grows with each listen.

Standout moments include ‘BTN,’ and ‘Red Eyes,’ both of which perfectly exemplify the new style the band have adopted with this album. The absolute highlight for me is closing track ‘Year In Year Out/Up and Away,’ which features an excellent vocal cameo from Dillenger Escape Plan’s Greg Puciato.

Overall, this is a terrific record and you shouldn’t let the fact that they used to be a lot heavier and more complicated get in the way of you enjoying it. Judged on its own merits The Here and Now is a very strong album indeed, and if you are into this band or genre you need to check it out.

IV Power Metal