MUNICIPAL WASTE — The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space) (review)

MUNICIPAL WASTE — The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space) album cover Album · 2012 · Crossover Thrash Buy this album from MMA partners
"The Fatal Feast" is the 5th full-length studio album by US crossover/thrash metal act Municipal Waste. The album was released through Nuclear Blast Records in April 2012. Crossover thrash metal along with the more traditional thrash metal style have experienced quite the revival in the last 10 years, and Municipal Waste have been one of the most successful acts playing the former style. Listening to "The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space)" it´s quite obvious why.

The music on the album is crossover thrash metal with an emphasis on aggression, catchyness and relentless energy. The vocals by Tony Foresta are sneering and aggressive, the riffs are sharp, thrashy and at times fast and punk edged and the drumming energetic and powerful. Municipal Waste master all the basic tools to write and play crossover thrash metal. You´ve probably heard it all before, but seldom this sharp and professional. Don´t be fooled by the often goofy "cartoonish" lyrics (check out songtitles like "Covered in Sick/The Barfer" and "The Monster With 21 Faces") and cover artwork, these guys can play and they can play really well. There isn´t much variation to be found on the album and the same can be said between the band´s albums, but whenever I put on "The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space)" I can´t help to smile and my head slowly begins to bang until I can´t stop moving and bang my head like a maniac. It´s such a charming album and it has that effect on me. Let´s just say I´ll live with the fact that it´s not the most varied album and that it sounds maybe a bit too much like the rest of their albums.

The album features a powerful clear sound production that suits the music perfectly.

"The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space)" while neither the most original sounding nor varied crossover thrash metal release out there, is a high quality release in the genre and it´s highly recommendable to people who like fast, aggressive and not too serious crossover thrash. A 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating is deserved.

Paranoid Heavy Metal