RUINS Symphonica

Album · 1998 · Non-Metal
siLLy puPPy
In the ever changing weird world of Yoshida Tastsuya and Hisashi Sasaki came yet another RUINS release in the busy year of 1998 when they released four albums (“Refusal Fossil,” “Vrresto,” “Tohjinbo” (as Derek and the Ruins)” as well as their eleventh album SYMPHONICA which found the duo expanding their sound a bit by adding keyboard player Kenichi Oguchi and not one but two female singers, Emi Elonola and Aki Kubota. The tracks included are remakes from earlier RUINS albums with “Thebes”,”Infect” and ”Big Head” coming from “Stonehenge,” “Praha In Spring” from “Burning Stone,” “Graviyaunosch” from the same titled album and “Brixon Varromiks” and “Bliezzaning Moltz” coming from the “Hyderomastgroningem” album. The results of these additional characters at play creates one of the most fulfilling RUINS experiences to date and offers a greater expansion into the world of prog and a sound even more reminiscent of their primarily zeuhl inspired influence of Magma. With the extra touches of the keyboard there is also a rather avant-prog approach as heard by the Italian band Area as well in some of the unhinged riffing touches and the male vocals remind me of the crazy vocal antics of Demetrio Stratos as well in his more outrageous form.

As usual Yoshida and Sasaki pound out their most frenetic Magama inspired zeuhl rhythms cranked up on overdrive and turned up to “ultra-freaky,” however despite the hyperactive freneticism that RUINS so deftly churns out at light-speed, SYMPHONICA as the name implies has a more smoothed-around-the-edges feel due to the suave effects of the keyboards that help craft one of the most “accessible” RUINS albums in their canon if that adjective can truly apply to anything that RUINS pumps out. While clearly closer in sound to traditional 70s Magma on such albums as “Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh” with the female singers creating a comparable operatic frenetic whizzing up and down the musical scales, RUINS as expected takes it all to the next ten levels and beyond by pumping out more bombastic rhythms laced with angular time signature frenzies gone absolutely wild with keyboard runs jolting around as quickly as Yoshida’s percussive limbs pound incessant chops about.

While being crazed and technically demented seems to be the primary goal of the RUINS experience, on SYMPHONICA there are plenty of passages that simply allow notes to sustain while the divas grace the listener with utterly pure vowel sounds approaching glass shattering magnitudes. This is a really impressive album as all the members are extremely playful and a rather tight unit as the vocals, keys, bass and drums can play in complete unison or meander and leap frog around each other creating bizarre musical atmospheres. While the two long time members have always been an impressively tight unit, the magic of this album derives from the stylistic diversity and virtuosic deliveries of Kenichi’s mastery of the synthesized effects. Likewise the duo diva effect of Aki and Eleonola not only match the magnitude of their Magma influences but take them places those pioneers never dared venture. This is one of the most adventurous zeuhl releases i’ve ever heard and despite the usual freneticism of a typical RUINS release seems a little more disciplined here as the crazy parts are mixed stylishly well with more contemplative and “normal” aspects of the music. This is one of my favorite RUINS releases. The extra musicians add the very touch many of their albums lack.

I’m not it really in tune with the Japanese scene, prog or metal, and have only a few albums in those genres. I only know of Ruins because of their mention in Rolling Stone.
siLLy puPPy wrote:
Are they popular in Japan? I think of them as underground freaks and that's why i like em
I thought this sounded familiar. Hyderomastgroningem is #49 on Rolling Stone's 50 Greatest Prog rock Albums of All Time.

Kingslayer Symphonic Metal