LEUKEMIA Suck My Heaven

Album · 1993 · Death Metal
"Suck My Heaven" is the debut full-length studio album by Swedish death metal act Leukemia. The album was released through Black Mark Production in 1993. Leukemia was formed in 1989 and worked as a two-piece project act consisting of Kentha Philipson (drums) and Jocke Granlund (Vocals). All other instruments and vocals are delivered by guest/session musicians. Among those are prolific artists like L-G Petrov (Entombed) on backing vocals, and Jörgen Sandström (Entombed, Grave) on bass.

The music on "Suck My Heaven" is a hybrid death/thrash metal style with experimental/progressive moments. The latter mostly consists of some pretty odd and at times even silly sections, but they are few and far between, and the music predominantly features a more dark and serious atmosphere. "Suck My Heaven" was recorded at the now legendary Sunlight Studios and features the "classic" sound from that studio. The guitars are slightly more thin sounding and not as "buzzing" as usual on recordings from Sunlight, but especially the drums feature that unmistakable sound.

While Leukemia is generally considered a death metal act, the riffing on the album is often closer to thrash metal than to death metal and the same can be said about the thrash oriented raw vocals, which is the primary vocal style on the album. There are growling vocals on the album too though.

The material on the 9 track, 47:03 minutes long album is relatively well written but not necessarily that memorable in the long run, and paired with the thin guitar sound, and a vocal style which is a bit powerless sounding, "Suck My Heaven" isn´t the most successful sounding release to my ears. It´s not bad either though and there are several interesting sections and high level musicianship to be found on the album too, so a 3 star (60%) rating isn´t all wrong.

Post Self Industrial Metal