CROWBAR — Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form (review)

CROWBAR — Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form album cover Album · 2001 · Sludge Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
BitterJalapeno
Released in 2001, “Sonic Excess in its Purest Form” is the seventh studio album by Louisiana based sludge metal legends Crowbar. Listeners are presented with the classic Crowbar formula - their trademark slow and brooding brand of sludge occasionally interspersed with short bursts of fierce aggression.

This appropriately named album blends elements of previous Crowbar releases into a neatly packaged 45 minutes of sonic bliss sure to appeal to any fan of sludge. It takes the violent aggression of 1996’s “Broken Glass” and fuses it with the sorrowful “Odd Fellows Rest” from 1998 resulting in an extremely refined product and a wonderfully satisfying listen. The production is excellent – crisp, clear and warm with a ludicrously heavy guitar tone, enveloping the listener in an exquisite blanket of beefy riffs that are deeper than the ocean and powerful enough to move mountains.

For me, no other metal artist comes close to matching Crowbar in terms of the deeply emotional delivery of their music. The centrepiece of this is Windstein’s earnestly anguished vocals as he rasps and growls emotively over thick waves of immensely immersive and hypnotic music from the rhythm section.

“Sonic Excess in its Purest Form” is a contender for my favourite Crowbar album along with the aforementioned big beasts “Broken Glass” and “Odd Fellows Rest” and is, without doubt, essential listening for fans of sludge metal. I reckon it’s also a great choice for an introduction to the band for those unfamiliar with their work. Lastly, I’d recommend whacking the volume up full as you can. It will enhance the experience.

2 months ago
Yeah you should definitely go see them.
2 months ago
I’ve never had the pleasure of experiencing them live. I missed them when they came to Scotland in 2018 but determined not to miss the next opportunity when all this madness is over.
2 months ago
I like Crowbar,but I´m not a huge fan. I always found their songs too formulaic and a bit same sounding, although they´ve developed more musical tricks over the years. Some of their riffs and rhythms are crushinghy heavy and groove laden though and I love that. Crowbar to me is more a live band than an album band and they are really great live. Saw them a couple of years ago.
2 months ago
Thanks! It's a very fitting album title for sure. Everyone should listen to more Crowbar.

2 months ago
Really well said, couldn't agree more! I should listen to it more often though. One of my favorite album titles, there really isn't any better of a description for Crowbar.

Paranoid Heavy Metal