JUDAS PRIEST — Sin After Sin (review)

JUDAS PRIEST — Sin After Sin album cover Album · 1977 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
DamoXt7942
"Sin After Sin" is known as JUDAS PRIEST's third full-length album and their first shot in their golden "authentic heavy metal" era, and (at least for me) looks like one of the most 'unfavourable' stuff for every progressive rock fan. The material in this album would have been composed, created mainly by Rob HALFORD (voices) and Glenn TIPTON (guitars), and been produced by Roger GLOVER ... their strong intention for shooting pure heavy metal out into the rock scene could be heard through it, I suppose. On the other hand, their sound-making, engineering and production should be pretty developed, which make us enjoy more and more keener, stricter soundscape.

The opening shot "Sinner" can be called as one of their masterpieces, and one of masterpieces in heavy metal world definitely. Heavy and speedy riffs via powerful guitars and Rob's high-tone voices ... both can be perfectly synchronized and crystallized. A tad theatrical and dramatic voyage round the metallic world is quite impressive. Yes they are powerful voyagers. "Diamonds & Rust", needless to mention here, was composed and originally released in 1975 by Joan BAEZ. The original one by Joan is acoustic and lyrical indeed, but Judas' cover version sounds harder, heavier, clearer, and more sharp-edged. Rob's not launched so high-pitched voices as other songs around in this album or something, but please listen carefully, and we can realize he would sing with less pressure and more pleasure. Forgive my overmention but enough might be only listening to these tracks (no, no, though). A heavy and ardent ballad "Last Rose Of Summer" will stabilize our inner soul. Crying guitar sounds are very cool in "Here Comes The Tears" filling tears in our eyes.

Again mentioned, but cannot understand the reason this album is underrated, and there is no suspicion this should emit crazy well-matured heavy metal flavour. Yay.

1 year ago
This is my favorite of their 70's albums (though Rocka Rolla comes very close), and one of my favorite Priest albums.
1 year ago
Sinner and Raw Deal are two of my favourite Judas Priest songs!
1 year ago
I accidentally bought two copies of this album. Oh well...

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal