RIVERSIDE — Shrine of New Generation Slaves (review)

RIVERSIDE — Shrine of New Generation Slaves album cover Album · 2013 · Metal Related Buy this album from MMA partners
Daysbetween
'Shrine Of New Generation Slaves' is Riverside's fifth studio album and the long awaited follow up to the highly rated 'Anno Domini High Definition' which was released way back in 2009.

The first point to note about SONGS is that it is overall more song based than previous albums. The album is accessible and melodic while it contains a diverse range of material from the riffy 'New Generation Slave' to the dreamy and reflective 'We Got Used To Us'. Longest track 'Escalator Shrine' which clocks in at over twelve minutes has hints of Floyd mixed with headbanging climax. Lyrically the album seems to be a concept about the disquiet of modern living and our inability to change our lives. The biggest change for me is the melancholic vocals of Mariusz Duda which along with some of the keyboards gives the album a very modern sound and reminds me of Steven Wilson. The band have clearly progressed but in a slightly less Metal direction.

I would think that 'SONGS' will appeal to fans of modern Marillion and Porcupine Tree while more traditional Metal fans might dislike the new direction. 7/10

bartosso wrote:
Well, not necessarily, I'm much more into metal, I dislike Marillion and don't really like PT and yet I love Riverside. The new album is not as good as ADHD or SLS but it's still great imho. Good review anyway :)

Deathwalkers Power Metal