AMESOEURS — Ruines humaines (review)

AMESOEURS — Ruines humaines album cover EP · 2006 · Atmospheric Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Ruines Humaines" is the debut release by French post black metal act Amesoeurs. "Ruines Humaines" is a 3 track EP with a 15:59 minutes long playing time. The EP is available in no less than four different versions. A normal jewel case CD version, a digipack CD version limited to 333 hand-numbered copies, a 10" vinyl version on while vinyl limited to 220 copies and a 10" vinyl version on black vinyl limited to 800 copies. "Ruines Humaines" was released through Northern Silence Productions in October 2006.

While rooted in atmospheric post black metal, the music on the EP also features lots of shoegaze elements. Especially the closing track on the EP titled "Faiblesse Des Sens", which features female vocals by Audrey Sylvain (Peste Noire), reminds me of acts like My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive. The two remaining tracks feature some harsh black metal type vocals by Neige while still maintaining the shoegaze element.

The sound production is a bit lo-fi but otherwise suits the music well and all in all Amesoeurs are off to a pretty good start with "Ruines Humaines". It´s not an EP that blows me away but it´s of a decent quality and a 2.5 - 3 star (55%) rating is warranted.

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal