JUDAS PRIEST Rocka Rolla

Album · 1974 · Hard Rock
DamoXt7942
Look at the mischievous, playful sleeve, and listen carefully to their well-matured stoner rock. JUDAS’ debut album “Rocka Rolla” should be positioned as one of pioneers of stoner rock, and it’s quite surprising that this stuff would get to be a historical cornerstone in 70s rock scene ... even for a debut creation of a British promising rock act. In those days this album got lots of 'negative' reviews which should have made the members sad. It's a pity their non-catchy heavy (not of metal) rock could not be approved by every fan of pop / rock, but let me say this hidden novelty must be re-evaluated and appreciated more and more.

Honest to say their composition is not so novel as their following one "Sad Wings Of Destiny" but we can taste such a monotonous heavy / stoner atmosphere only via this album (lacking of enthusiasm cannot be fit for Rob's falsetto voices though). The first shot "One For The Road" is sorta grand compilation of this whole album. Down-tempo, shoegaze, and depressive anarchism against popular rock for children can be fully heard. In "Run Of The Mill" are Rob's high-tone voices with magnificent passion, not under crying guitar sky but under bluesy stoner clouds. During 40 or more minutes is not any major key nor speedy metallic kick like their golden days. However, their musical attitude at that moment was never blurred. This undoubted identity of theirs should have been called as innovative, I'm sure.

DamoXt7942 wrote:
Thanks all, your whole lotta love for this album is much appreciated!
siLLy puPPy wrote:
Count me in on the LOVE IT side. Don't understand the hate for this one
It's great to see more love for this album! Certainly has it's place in the development of stoner rock.
aglasshouse wrote:
The negative reception this album got did more than make Priest sad...it nearly drove them broke! If it weren't for Sad Wings they likely would have been homeless with their horrible label Gull falling to pieces right in front of them. That being said, I think the criticism is hogwash. I will say this is one of the best if not my favorite album by them.

W2246​-​0526 Death Metal