MEGADETH — Risk (review)

MEGADETH — Risk album cover Album · 1999 · Hard Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
aiylyn
Ridiculously underrated,

I can understand why traditional Megadeth fans love to pan this album so much. Or at least, I try to. Sometimes I cannot help but wonder if they have whole CD shelves packed with just full-throttle thrash metal and refuse to even think about anything else. That's the only way I can see not enjoying this album: having a mind that's closed to anything outside unaltered thrash.

By now, pretty much everyone is aware of this album's foray into dark, moody rock territory - a stark departure from the heavy metal we're used to from older (and newer) releases. Dave and Co. took a risk; and they don't get a lot of respect for it. That's unfortunate because this album succeeds on all levels. The melodies are different but well-developed and catchy - some on the first listen; others will wait until the tenth listen to jump out at you. Lyrics are top-notch; in fact they do explore basically the same dark-side-of-life issues that their previous albums do - with a less nihilistic tone. Clean guitar abounds; and the drums are a real gem - simple yet completely effective.

This album is currently available right here at Amazon used for one dollar. If you don't have this album, you don't have much to lose! Give it the chance it deserves - forget what you've heard.

LittleBig wrote:
a well written review; I would not give it four stars though, that would mean it's essential; I like it a lot, main problem listeners have with it it's that it says Megadeth on the cover and a couple of songs could fit a Bon Jovi album...

Left Hand Pass Doom Metal
Naiv Avant-garde Metal
THY CATAFALQUE
Illuminati Death Metal
GOD DETHRONED

HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Combat (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
HEAVEN SHALL BURN