CARNIVORE — Retaliation (review)

CARNIVORE — Retaliation album cover Album · 1987 · Crossover Thrash Buy this album from MMA partners
"Retaliation" is the 2nd full-length studio album by US, New York based hardcore/crossover thrash metal act Carnivore. The album was released through Roadrunner Records in September 1987. It´s the successor to the band´s self-titled 1985 debut album and features one lineup change compared to that album as guitarist Keith Alexander has been replaced by Marc Piovanetti.

Stylistically "Retaliation" more or less continues the aggressive and intense hardcore/crossover thrash metal style of the debut album, but "Retaliation" generally sounds a bit more angry and the pace is also a bit higher overall. So there are quite a few fast-paced aggressive hardcore tracks featured on the album, but there are also the occasionally more heavy doomy and atmospheric moment featured in the music. Tracks like "Ground Zero Brooklyn", "Race War", the instrumental "Five Billion Dead", and the cover of "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix are examples of the latter. Just as the case was on the debut album lead vocalist/bassist Peter Steele, spews out profanities, anger, and sarcastic comments on social/political issues, and the lyrics certainly aren´t for the faint at heart and song titles like "Angry Neurotic Catholics", "S.M.D. (Suck My Dick)", and "Jesus Hitler" are probably pretty controversial to some people.

"Retaliation" is both well produced and well performed too, and led by the distinct sounding voice of Peter Steele, Carnivore also have a unique sound although most of their core style is actually relatively generic. The combination of biting sarcasm and aggression works perfect for the band, and "Retaliation" is generally a very entertaining release. A 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating is deserved.

3 months ago
Love this album. Good summation. And I only recently discovered Manic Depression was a cover.

Seven Melodic Death Metal