THY CATAFALQUE — Rengeteg (review)

THY CATAFALQUE — Rengeteg album cover Album · 2011 · Avant-garde Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Earendil
Thy Catafalque manage the impossible. No one can maintain an atmosphere composed of such earth-crushing heaviness, such vibrant textural earthiness, and such a range of timbre like Thy Catafalque. Even the lyrics contribute to the album's massive, ancient atmosphere. I didn't imagine an endeavor like this was possible before I heard it. But Thy Catafalque doesn't just maintain that atmosphere on Rengeteg; they mold it into brilliant structure after brilliant structure. The grace with which the compositions dance around while maintaining their astonishingly heavy and organic atmosphere is astounding. The music weaves back and forth between deeply moving post-black metal progressions driven by 50-megaton blast beats and an eclectic range of industrial, rock, and folk, all the while maintaining that impossible atmosphere. Renegeteg contains some of the heaviest moments of music that I've ever encountered yet doesn't dwell on them like many bands do; it weaves them into its rich tapestry of sounds. Tamas Katai, who performs all the music on the album except the cello and clean vocals, is one of the most brilliant composers that I've come across. This is the first album of his that I've listened to, and it is an absolute masterpiece. Tamas is an artist of an incredible magnitude.

Rating: 9/10