TRIBULATION — Putrid Rebirth (review)

TRIBULATION — Putrid Rebirth album cover EP · 2006 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Putrid Rebirth" is an EP release by Swedish death/thrash metal act Tribulation. The EP was released through Blood Harvest in May 2006 and is the band´s first label release. It´s the follow up to the "The Ascending Dead" demo from 2005, which was the band´s first release under the Tribulation monicker. The band functioned under the Hazard monicker in the 2001 - 2004 period.

Tribulation is probably best known for playing old school Swedish death metal with progressive leanings (and later a darker and more gothic tinged style), but on "Putrid Rebirth" they play a technical, aggressive, and ultra-fast death/thrash metal style, which sounds a bit like 1986 Dark Angel on steroids. A reference to their Danish neighbours in Invocator (early) is probably even more valid. This is very raw and aggressive but also played with great skill and conviction. The snarling and vitriol filled growling vocals are very effective and the feature on the EP, which is closest related to death metal. The instrumental part of the music, including the screaming chromatic guitar solos, is brutal and raw thrash metal through and through. The lyrics are your typical death, zombie, and occult themed lyrics.

In addition to the fierce musical performance, and some raw and effective songwriting, the 4 track, 17:53 minutes long EP features a powerful and raw sounding production. I had to look twice when I saw that "Putrid Rebirth" was released in 2006, because the sound is so authentic late 80s/early 90s, that I was convinced I was listening to a lost death/thrash gem from that time. So it´s safe to say the music isn´t very original sounding, but it´s so intense and and well performed that it doesn´t matter much if you appreciate the style. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

666sharon666 wrote:

ADVERSVM
Sisslith· 4 days ago
Easy Money
KING CRIMSON
King Crimson - Fracture (OFFICIAL)
Heroes - King Crimson Live in Berlin