SAXON — Power & the Glory (review)

SAXON — Power & the Glory album cover Album · 1983 · NWoBHM Buy this album from MMA partners
Stephen
Saxon's fifth album is the first to feature new drummer, Nigel Glockler, and based on its year's release, 1983, the heavy metal climate was started to change toward hard rock and "Power & The Glory" wasn't far from trend. The real traditional heavy metal with fast tempo in this album can be found in perhaps only two tracks, the opening title track and "Warrior" with its pounding drums intro, but just like another big track, "This Town Rocks", Saxon tweaked the tempo dynamically and they're eventually turned to hard rock.

You can barely stumble upon a single bad track inside, but most of the songs are pretty good with only a few outstanding tracks. The strongest one will be the title track and "Watching The Sky". The slaughtering intro riff is killer, the verse and the harmonic chorus is flawless, what a great track! "Nightmare" is a decent power ballad while "The Eagle Has Landed" has the psychedelic feel that's obviously influenced by Pink Floyd, both tracks are a bit out of place but definitely not bad at all.

After multiple spins, it's hard to say this album is a part of Saxon's essential catalogue, pretty good maybe, but despite the short length of the album, it has shortage of really strong and huge tracks. Good album to have for fans of heavy metal / hard rock, but they sure have a better one out there.

Clouds Metalcore
RAIJU

Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 21 hours ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS