MEGADETH — Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (review)

MEGADETH — Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? album cover Album · 1986 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Surely I'm not the only one who disliked Megadeth's debut 'Killing is My Business', right? I mean, I didn't just dislike it, I hated it. I thought it was awful. It was boring, uninspiring, repetitive, grating, and just all-out rubbish.

That's why I'm happy that with 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?', Dave Mustaine and his band of merry musicians become the Megadeth we all truly know and love today. And that includes me!

Everything I hated about 'Killing...' has been rectified here. The songs are catchier and the guitar work has matured a great deal, the vocals have improved massively, in both lyrics and melodies, and the production finally gives the music some clarity, as opposed to their debut album where I felt the shoddy production made it hard to truly distinguish any of the guitar riffs.

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This album is far from perfect, and for all the improvements it's made over its predecessor, there are still some fairly average songs that I don't find myself ever coming back to. However, there are also some early Megadeth classics in there that still hold up well today, such as 'Wake Up Dead' and 'Peace Sells'. And tracks like 'Devil's Island', 'Good Morning/Black Friday' and 'My Last Words' show a band who, despite the vast amounts of drugs and alcohol they were consuming, still had the wherewithal to produce something that would be considered one of thrash metals finest works.

Oh, and it happens to have one of the most recognizable album covers in metal! Not bad. Not bad at all.

1 year ago
Nah, this is number 2, behind So Far, So Good...So What!
1 year ago
3 stars for the best Megadeth album? Sacrilege!

I know many prefer Rust in Peace, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for raw old school attitude.

martindavey87 wrote:
1 year ago
I'll post a more elaborate review somewhere down the line, but that's generally a 2 or 3 out of 5 for me. 'Rust in Peace' for me is where Megadeth truly started to shine, and most of their stuff after that is brilliant.
aglasshouse wrote:
1 year ago
Nice. I'm not a huge fan of this one either, but I am curious as to your opinions on So Far, So Good.

IV Power Metal