METALLICA — One (Live) (review)

METALLICA — One (Live) album cover Single · 1993 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
I always thought singles to promote live albums was a bit pointless, unless there was a certain novelty to it (like, say, playing with an orchestra). Promoting the ‘Live Shit: Binge & Purge’ box set, ‘One’ is a decent enough little package which features four cuts from the album, but true fans were going to buy the bundle regardless, which thankfully, would later be released in a smaller box, with the same CD’s but featuring two DVD’s instead of three VHS tapes (remember those?!).

Featuring four tracks, ‘One’ (which includes a small jam), ‘Whiplash’, ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ and ‘Last Caress’, these are all staples in the Metallica live set, and there have been countless live versions recorded over the years, making this single pretty redundant.

Still, if you’re a die-hard fan you’ll want this for your collection, if such collectors actually exist, but otherwise, get the ‘Live Shit’ box set, as that’s definitely still worth the investment. And in fairness, if you’re actually reading this review then I’m going to assume you already own it, anyway.

As far as the music goes, it's a damn fine live album, that's for sure.
siLLy puPPy wrote:
@Vim... last year i found the CDs to the Binge and Purge at a thrift store for $5. Score! Sure i'd love to have the whole box but am most happy just having the music :)
It wasn't a redundant single when it was released. The Binge and Purge box set was $270NZD (I think) when it first came out. I was a student at the time, and got $80 a week in allowances. I was never going to be able to afford it at that price. Luckily, market forces meant it didn't sell, and got knocked down to $120, which I managed to scrape together one summer holiday when I had a summer job. I thought I'd never get near the damn thing, so I grabbed the single when it was released. I must get the DVD version some time.

Little By Little Hardcore Punk
Sabbath Stoner Metal
MELVINS
Medicine Noose / Spewn Sludge Metal
SPEWN

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL