NIRVANA — Nevermind (review)

NIRVANA — Nevermind album cover Album · 1991 · Heavy Alternative Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
bonnek
August 25th 1991, it's a sunny Sunday morning when I enter the Festival grounds of the Belgian alternative rock festval Pukkelpop (the one that got thrashed in a storm this year). It's pretty quiet still, there's a small crowd in front of the stage looking at the first (or maybe second) gig that day, it's a last minute replacement for the absent Limbomaniacs so it seems. It sounded pretty cool so I work my way to the stage and get to the front row pretty easily, the band set in their next song and a musical tornado hit me.

Drums, bass, one guitar and a voice like sandpaper. All of it with the raw power of pure rocking punk like we hadn't heard it since the end of the 70s, or maybe even all the way back to the end of the 60s when the Stooges ravished the earth. I don't remember which exact songs were played but the 20 minutes that the gig lasted left an impression I'll never forget. And one that none of the remainder of the acts could top, though it was quite a bill with Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Frank Black, Pogues, Ramones. Olé!

One month later or so, that obscure opening band released their sophomore album 'Nevermind', a collection of amazing and powerful punk songs and moody stripped-down ballads, but with a streamlined sound compared to the live gig. The rest is history. Synths and drum computers were referred to the trash bin, guitars and rock ruled the land again.

Ok, this review doesn't say all too much about the music on this album. But is that still necessary in this case?

Mother Of Red Light Mathcore