OPETH — My Arms, Your Hearse (review)

OPETH — My Arms, Your Hearse album cover Album · 1998 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
bartosso
My Opeth, Your Opeth

Opeth's third album was the first and most important turning point (or should I say "watershed") in the career of this amazing Swedish band. PERIOD. Redefinition of sound and song structures, more mature and consistent songwriting, less black and even more death metal feel to the music. There's no doubt that the features of My Arms, Your Hearse determined the band's sound for the next six releases.

My Arms, Your Hearse is often considered to be the heaviest Opeth effort and in that field may only be equaled by Deliverance. Still, there's no denying that it's one of the most atmospheric and emotionally charged records ever released. My Arms, Your Hearse isn't maybe as straightforwardly progressive as Blackwater Park or Still Life, but Mikael's fascination with progressive rock is already easy to notice. Harsh melodic death metal passages, tinged with neoclassical complexity and folk feel are the basis for an incredible diversity of themes, tempos and harmonies. All that makes up a maturely composed, well flowing concept album.

MAYH is a haunting record which transfix with fantastic combination of brutality and beauty. And... okay I'll say it. It may happen that you'll shed a tear of emotion listening to this album. I did.

No Sludge Metal