EDGUY Monuments

Boxset / Compilation · 2017 · Traditional heavy metal
Kev Rowland
here can’t be many bands around that can lay claim to be celebrating their 25th anniversary with three original members who have yet to reach forty years old, and to have had the same line-up for more than twenty years. But, that is the case with Edguy, who were formed when singer Tobias Sammet and guitarists Jens Ludwig and Dirk Sauer were just fourteen years old. To celebrate reaching this milestone, Nuclear Blast have released a double CD compilation containing five new songs, plus a collection of “greatest hits” plus B-sides and rarities. They have also released this as a limited-edition package which includes a DVD of a 2004 show plus all their promos, and a book crammed full of photos. But, I’ll put up with a digital download of the music, as Edguy always know what they are doing, and they do it mighty fine.

Tobias may keep going off to work with his other project Avantasia, but Edguy allows him to return to what he does so well, providing stunning vocals on the top of a traditional heavy metal attack. The first song that gained Edguy some acclaim was of course “Vain Glory Opera”, and it still sounds as good now as it did when it was released nearly twenty years ago! The music may have become more complex since then, but there is always room for anthems, and apparently, they have played this song at every show since then. Edguy have never pandered to what people feel they should look like to sound like, and even have a name that annoys some people (as with Lynyrd Skynyrd, they are named after one of their teachers), but they’re still going strong. They will be out on the road again soon promoting this album, but if you have ever wondered what these guys sounds like, then this twenty-eight track two-and-a-half-hour long collection is a great way to do it.

Bartje1979 wrote:
2 months ago
I bought the vinyl box. With only 4 records and 4 printed inner sleeves, the box is a bit poor for 44 euros. The other versions (5-disc earbook and 3-disc mediabook) have 42 pages!!

Dominant Rush Stoner Metal