NAPALM DEATH — Logic Ravaged by Brute Force (review)

NAPALM DEATH — Logic Ravaged by Brute Force album cover EP · 2020 · Grindcore Buy this album from MMA partners
"Logic Ravaged by Brute Force" is an EP/single release by UK, grindcore act Napalm Death. The EP/single was released through Century Media Records in February 2020. There are two tracks featured on the 7:39 minutes long release. The title track which is a Napalm Death original and "White Kross", which is a cover of Sonic Youth.

"Logic Ravaged by Brute Force" is a very unusual Napalm Death release, as the music style on the two tracks is not grindcore or death metal, but a noisy, atmospheric type of industrial metal influenced by the likes of Swans and Head of David/Godflesh. The Sonic Youth track is in a somewhat similar style to the original composition, although it naturally leans a bit more towards a metallic version of noise rock. Napalm Death have included tracks in this style on some of their preceding studio albums (they´ve recorded quite a few covers in the past too), so it´s not a huge surprise, but "Logic Ravaged by Brute Force" is still a pretty different sounding release by the band because of the lack of anything resembling a grindcore trait on the two tracks. Mark "Barney" Greenway´s vocals are also pretty different from his usual raw barking/semi-growling vocal style, and the vocals here are more raw, shouting, and distorted by effects.

The sound production is heavy, raw, and detailed. It´s a perfect production for the material. "Logic Ravaged by Brute Force" may not feature much material, but quality should always be more important than quantity, and this is quite an interesting release for fans of Napalm Death, as it´s chance to hear them play something different from what they usually do, and do it well too. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is fully deserved.

I've heard the whole album, and there's definitely a big noise rock/alt rock influence through the whole thing. I need to give it some more listens before I review it, but it's excellent.

Mth 6:23 Atmospheric Sludge Metal