LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT — Liquid Tension Experiment (review)

LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT — Liquid Tension Experiment album cover Album · 1998 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Liquid Tension Experiment were a supergroup put together at the suggestion of the Magna Carta label, who thought it'd be cool to get Mick Portnoy and John Petrucci of Dream Theater together with Tony Levin and Jordan Rudess for some jamming. The end result is an interesting instrumental album which, when it really cooks, is actually pretty fascinating.

To a certain extent you're listening to Jordan Rudess' audition for Dream Theater here, because it was in these sessions that Portnoy and Petrucci decided that Jordan was what that band needed in the keyboardist's spot, but if you set that point of historical interest aside the album is pleasant but a bit unfocused. Some of the more metal-tinged pieces are good, but when the band go full-out jazz fusion my attention begins to drift. The half hour long improv session of Three Minute Warning might be a fascinating insight into the band's working, but I suspect most people will prefer the preceding eight tracks of compositions which emerged from jam sessions such as that one; even there, though, my attention begins to drift after the first four tracks or so.

Add another star if you are particularly keen on listening to prog superstars jamming for jamming's sake, but for my part I tend to prefer more direction and focus and cohesion in prog metal; if you're the same, approach with caution.

LittleBig wrote:
LTE has never impressed me, as much as I like Dream Theater or Levin as bass player.
Diogenes wrote:
This is such a hard album for me to listen to. Yeah, the chops are incredible, but it's just so boring. I do like "Universal Mind" though.
I completely agree with you on this one.

Void Cult Rising Sludge Metal