MASTODON Leviathan

Album · 2004 · Sludge Metal
Kingcrimsonprog
Mastodon’s second studio album Leviathan is an absolute must have album, it contains a lot of the band’s most memorable songs and never seems to get old. Leviathan holds an interesting place in the band’s history, less extreme and brash than their debut, but less melodic and progressive than the album which proceeded it. The album has a great feel to it, almost hypnotic in places and vital and energetic in others, Leviathan contains all the ingredients that make the band great in a mix that the band haven’t repeated. Opener and lead single `Blood And Thunder,’ is an absolutely infectious song that will be stuck in your head for days at a time. Other highlights include the hypnotic and dream like `Naked Burn,’ and the heavy and diverse `Megalodon.’ The album builds towards the thirteen minute track, `Hearts Alive,’ which is one of the finest numbers in the band’s entire catalogue, atmospheric, heavy and evocative and finally ends with the haunting `Joseph Merrick.’ The musicanship on Leviathan is undeniable, the album contains all the furious drum work, unique guitar solos and twisting riffs you’d expect from Mastodon, in a package of ten immensely listenable, yet still crushingly heavy songs. If you like Mastodon there is simply no question you’ll enjoy Leviathan, one of the finest albums of the last decade.

Down, Wicked & No Good Alternative Metal