LED ZEPPELIN — Led Zeppelin (review)

LED ZEPPELIN — Led Zeppelin album cover Album · 1969 · Hard Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
bonnek
Zeppelin's debut is a heavy blues rock album. It's pure sex, it is about sex and it shamelessly uses high levels of testosterone to fuel its rough primal scream.

While later Zeppelin albums have plenty of more sophisticated things going for them, the debut sticks to basic blues standards. Not really my favourite genre, but when it works it does magic. The thing that makes it so special is how Zeppelin brought blues rock to a new level of heaviness. They simply blew up classic blues to monolithic proportions. Initially it didn’t go down well with many rock critics and it was rebuked for being too simplistic and overstated. But the audience thought completely different about it. And so do rock critics now. I think it is quite obvious how high the song writing quality is and how varied and dynamic this music is. It may be monumental but it’s sure subtle as well.

The pure rough power of this album has proven to be absolutely timeless and continues to move and inspire people today as much as it ever did. Both the Zeppelin-penned composition and the covers of the blues classics (Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, You Shooke Me and I Can’t Quit You Baby) are performed with unsurpassed muscle and passion. Dazed and Confused and How Many More Times in particular have ruled my charts for years on end and they still send shivers down my spine on every occasion I pick up this album.

This album may be a bit soft for modern metal lovers, but it has kept its credibility intact. This is pure, raw, heavy and intense, and it should feature in any music lover's collection. Simply essential.

Hold Back the Dawn Death Metal
GRAVEYARD
Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS