FAITH NO MORE Introduce Yourself

Album · 1987 · Funk Metal
After the stylistic variety of their debut, We Care a Lot, Faith No More got to record this album with tighter production values. The end result is a substantially less varied and experimental release, the band focusing instead on the funk metal style that they'd flirted with on their first release and producing a pioneering example of that style. Between the title and the inclusion of a superior version of We Care a Lot from the debut, this album seems intended to, if not replace the debut album, at least act as a "new listeners start here" release.

The irony of this is, of course, that this album is actually not that representative of the rest of Faith No More's sound. With their experimental instincts creeping back in on The Real Thing and running riot from Angel Dust onwards, they'd never produce such a straight-down-the-line funk metal release ever again. On top of that, the album's narrow stylistic range ends up hampering it a little here and there - sure, it's a lot of fun, but when it comes to Chuck Moseley's rap-rants a little goes a long way, and the lack of more instrumental tracks means you get a lot of them. It's OK stuff, but I greatly prefer what came before and after this rather too constrained introduction.

Down, Wicked & No Good Alternative Metal