DARK SERMON In Tongues

Album · 2013 · Deathcore
Kev Rowland
I am having a real hard time getting my head around the fact that this is a debut album, there is no way that five unknowns from Tampa can deliver a monster like the one currently blasting out of my speakers. Singer Johnny Crowder is a colossus, but he has to be to stand up in front of the barrage that is Dark Sermon in full flight. Bassist Austin Chandler and drummer Bryson St. Angelo Crowder’s drive it along from the back while the twin attack of Austin Good and Neal Minor is unrelenting. Here is a band that are attempting to bring together Behemoth, Whitechapel, Job For A Cowboy, Gojira and The Black Dahlia Murder, with Lamb of God and doing a bloody fine job of it thank you very much.

Over the top, yet always controlled, these guys set up a groove that Meshuggah would be proud of while throwing in some Protest The Hero style guitar solos – again, how on earth can this be a debut? It is as heavy as lead, but moves with a grace and passion like a panther on the prowl. It is just not possible to listen to this without moving in time with it. If you only get one metal album this month, make sure it is this one and ensure that you play it loud enough so that your neighbours can enjoy it as well. Metal really doesn’t get much better than this. Did I say that it was a debut? What on earth are they going to be doing in five years time? Incredible stuff.

Down, Wicked & No Good Alternative Metal