BURST — In Coveting Ways & Conquest: Writhe (review)

BURST — In Coveting Ways & Conquest: Writhe album cover Boxset / Compilation · 2003 · Metalcore Buy this album from MMA partners
"In Coveting Ways & Conquest: Writhe" is a compilation album by Swedish post hardcore act Burst. The album was released through Ritual Records in 2003. The compilation includes the band´s 2nd full-length studio album "Conquest: Writhe (2000)", the "In Coveting Ways (2002)" EP, and a single from 1998 titled "Forsaken Not Forgotten". This is a great way to be introduced to the early music by Burst instead of purchasing the releases seperately. And pretty surely a much cheaper one too.

CD1 features the tracks from "In Coveting Ways (2002)" and "Forsaken Not Forgotten (1998)". The 4 tracks from "In Coveting Ways (2002)" are high quality material while the 2 tracks from "Forsaken Not Forgotten (1998)" should probably be considered as bonus material as they don´t exactly feature the same high standards as the rest of the material on this compilation.

CD2 features all tracks from the band´s 2nd full-length studio album "Conquest: Writhe (2000)". It´s a pretty strong post hardcore album with a slight progressive edge but the material are generally not as strong as the material from the "In Coveting Ways (2002)" EP on CD1.

All in all this is an interesting compilation and a very worthy purchase. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is certainly warranted and considering that the original releases are probably very hard to come by today, compilations like these are always welcome.

The Anastoria Symphonic Metal