ELVENKING Heathenreel

Album · 2001 · Folk Metal
Primeval Scum
The Regality Dance, White Willow, and Seasonspeech are without a doubt among the best folk metal songs I've ever heard. Pagan Purity, Skywards, and Oakenshield are all great tracks in their own right.

Those six tracks are fantastic, but the rest of the album is mostly filler, which brings down the overall rating a bit.

When I first heard Elvenking's vocalist, I wasn't sure if I liked his voice. At first, he almost sounded like a pop-punk singer. However, you quickly get used to it and come to love it. I now cannot imagine the band any other way and consider his voice one that truly captures the pagan spirit because when he sings you can truly tell how much passion and love he has for each word and note in the music. His voice, and the rest of the band's performances, sound so carefree and joyous, as if they're playing in a vast green meadow.

Several amazing songs, with a pointless intro and a couple filler tracks. If all of the songs were as good as the first three I mentioned it would be one of the easiest 5-stars I've ever given, but overall it comes out to roughly a 3.9/5.

666sharon666 wrote:
I'm surprised to see To Oak Woods Bestowed mentioned as a 'pointless intro'. Trust me, there's a lot more pointless things a band could do for a intro than that one.

This Is Hell Deathcore