RHAPSODY OF FIRE From Chaos To Eternity

Album · 2011 · Power Metal
Rhapsody's second multiple-concept album epic comes to a close which feels more exhausted than triumphant here. Don't get me wrong, this is a more or less solid Rhapsody album that keeps me reasonably entertained across its running time, but I can't help but be left with the impression that Rhapsody were getting diminishing returns out of their formula at this point, and the subsequent split into two factions was probably a necessary one to give them a jolt. To be honest, the only really major departures the Dark Secret Saga albums make compared with the Emerald Sword Saga are as follows:

- Christopher Lee narrates the Dark Sword Saga - score one for the Dark Sword Saga. - The Emerald Sword Saga doesn't quite have a symphonic-and-narrative-focused release as The Cold Embrace of Fear, though since that was kind of a dull misstep that's a solid point in the Emerald Sword Saga's favour.

And, erm, that's about it. Apparently the band have decided that this will be the last of their conceptual epics, and perhaps some time backing away from the expectations the Emerald Sword Saga built up will be good for recharging their creative batteries. I'm also interested to see what Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli do now they've had their amicable parting of the ways. But as far as this album goes, it's solid stuff, but I know this Rhapsody lineup are capable of better and they don't quite deliver the triumphant conclusion I was hoping for.

The Spiritualist Deathcore