ALARUM — Fluid Motion (review)

ALARUM — Fluid Motion album cover Album · 1999 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Fluid Motion" is the debut full-length studio album by Australian technical death/ thrash metal act Alarum. The album was released through Metal Warriors in 1999.

The music on the album is technical and thrashy death metal with a progressive edge. The music features both raw and clean vocals. The raw vocals by lead vocalist Mark Palfreyman remind me of Robert Flynn´s vocals (Machine Head). The clean vocal parts sound very much like Page Hamilton´s (Helmet) vocal style to my ears. There are references to technical/progressive artists like Atheist, Cynic, Sadist and Pestilence but there are also more "regular" thrash metal influences in the music. The music is generally pretty intricate and technical without ever being technical for the sake of it.

The musicians are very solid but the sound production leaves a bit to be desired. It´s decent but lacks a bit of power. And that just about covers my overall opinion of the album too. It´s a decent technical/progressive death/thrash metal release, which is a relatively enjoyable listening experience but seldom reaches excellence. A 3 star (60%) rating is deserved.

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal