BARONESS — First & Second (review)

BARONESS — First & Second album cover Boxset / Compilation · 2008 · Sludge Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
siLLy puPPy
BARONESS released two EPs before crafting the signature sound heard on the full-length debut “Red Album.” These two EPs were simply called FIRST followed by SECOND and showcased the band’s evolution from the punk roots on the caustic debut to the more progressive elements exercised on the sophomore release.

These two EPs were released as a combo pack in 2008 after the band had achieved popularity on this compilation simply titled FIRST & SECOND that includes all six tracks from the two EPs without any bonus tracks or extras. This release pretty much covers the first phase of BARONESS’ original lineup that consisted of ohn Baizley (vocals, guitar), Allen Blickle (drums), Tim Loose (guitar) and Summer Welch (bass) except the two tracks on the split “A Grey Sigh In A Flower Husk.”

This is pretty much for anyone who wants to explore the early origins of BARONESS and how they evolved from a fiery aggressive and raging sludge machine into the more polished progressive experimental sludge metal act that would take the world by storm. Personally i like the SECOND EP better for my tastes but this is a nice example of what excellent sludge metal with experimental touches is all about.

8 months ago

Bleed Metalcore
DREAMEATER
Open Wounds Hardcore Punk
EMUNESS

PAIN OF SALVATION - PANTHER (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
PAIN OF SALVATION